E-coli and sandwiches?

madfish69

Hi,

just wondering...although this outbreak seems to be only in northern Germany...on BBC news it seemed to suggest to make sure you wash the lettuce, tomato etc....but what about lettuce and tomatoes which are in packed supermarket sandwiches? Is it safe to eat? I mean where in the world does UK get it's ingredients from anyway??

Do we import vegetables or do we grow our own?

Anyway main question (yep, I'm having an idiiotically nervous day)...is it cool to eat Sainsbury sandwiches with all the veggies that apparantly we should wash before eating?

Hurry up with your answers my fellow diabetics...it's coming up to lunch time...and I've got a sandwich begging to be opened and devoured LOL :)

C

catherinecherub

There is always a risk of contamination with prepared foods regardless of this outbreak. It often depends on the hygiene habits of the packer plus washing fruit and veg under a cold tap does not remove all possible germs.
The choice is yours I'm afraid.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's a difficult one this with regards to shop bought sandwiches. I always wash salad even when a packet says the product is 'washed and ready to eat' , hopefully the FSA are monitoring the situation closely and this ingredients are rigorously checked, whether you eat one or not is entirely up to you but I would opt for a local bakers variety than a commercially produced product.

Nigel

sugar2

Hope you enjoy your sandwich!

My husband has tried to convince me over the years that cucumber is the "food ofteh devil"..so this last wek he has been very smug!

Won't stop me eating salad though.