Ear ringing and blocked

Liam1983!

Hi all. I have had a ringing in one ear with a blocked feeling for a couple of months now. Just curious if other have experienced this and if it is connected to my diabetes...

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi all. I have had a ringing in one ear with a blocked feeling for a couple of months now. Just curious if other have experienced this and if it is connected to my diabetes...

I've had various minor issues with my ears over the years, none have been T1 related. I'd suggest you visit your GP.

Edited to add.
Just seen this is your first post.
Welcome to the forums.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi, welcome.

Not so much the ringing but I thought I was going deaf about 14 years back..
Oddly, I’m a member of a heavy metal band. It was like wearing ear plugs.? “Head banging” especially with the head upside down. Shifted “something” & the audio briefly became loud, bright & spangly?

It all came to a head when I got an inner ear infection & kept throwing my self over with loosing balance.

Best see a doctor. I did have to explain I fully understood the symptoms of a hypo before he gave a “second opinion.”

It’s not all diabetes related. Just glad I got my ears back.

Reactions: Lainie71 and EllieM

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
I find at least once a fortnight/month putting coconut oil in my ears after a shower. As I once had togo to hospital as I couldn't sleep. The nurse said there doesn't seem to be hardly anything in there. But gave me Sofradex drops. Turns out my ears were that swollen. The nurse couldn't see the lump of wax the size of a raisin which came out of both ears. Surprised I could hear anything. Just my experience not medical advice.

• Funny
Reactions: Lainie71

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My ears get blocked with wax. I use, when I remember a bicarb solution, rather than oil. You can buy it from any pharmacy - I refill the bottle with the same amount of bicarb to cooled boiled water.

Reactions: nellywilk

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have similar. Had a sudden hearing loss, with tinnitus, 10 years ago. Related to a severe allergic reaction, not my diabetes which is well managed. I have hearing aids, but they stopped working properly a few weeks ago. Total hearing loss in one ear. Have been examined by audiologist. Hearing aids adjusted. Hasn’t helped. Thought I would need suction to remove wax, but, ear canals were clear. So I have a referral for further investigation / scan.
That was just me though. Point being don’t neglect your issue. We can’t diagnose. First port of call GP or nurse, who will look in your ears with an otoscope. (The pointy torch instrument) . Then you will be given advice on what to do next.
Hope it goes well.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another suggestion that it's more likely to be ear wax than diabetes related - but either way a visit to your GP is called for.

(I used to suffer badly from ear wax, and if my using oil didn't clear it, sometimes I needed a visit to our surgery for the nurse to use her squirty syringe to clear it.)

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another suggestion that it's more likely to be ear wax than diabetes related - but either way a visit to your GP is called for.

(I used to suffer badly from ear wax, and if my using oil didn't clear it, sometimes I needed a visit to our surgery for the nurse to use her squirty syringe to clear it.)
Mine get blocked a lot but nothing to do with diabetes just very small ear canals, my right ear is blocked as we speak.