Eastenders!

type1lozzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did anyone elce just watched eastenders with jane telling ian he will have to inject insulin for the rest of his life! The story line is fir type 2 diabeties so thay should make that clear and mention the right medications. As a type 1 diabetic who has no choice but to inject everyday for no folt of my own. BBC need to sort out this story line as I can see many complants coming there way! As a salad can cure diabeties apparently.

Reactions: Rosiegough_

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Yes I agree this is the second time EastEnders have got there facts wrong just think script writers should give a little more attention to detail and certainly find out more about the condition ? All the best to you.

Reactions: type1lozzie
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Did anyone elce just watched eastenders with jane telling ian he will have to inject insulin for the rest of his life! The story line is fir type 2 diabeties so thay should make that clear and mention the right medications. As a type 1 diabetic who has no choice but to inject everyday for no folt of my own. BBC need to sort out this story line as I can see many complants coming there way! As a salad can cure diabeties apparently.
Was it Ian's fault he got diabetes? Some people with type 2 do become insulin dependent.

I don't follow Eastenders, but I noticed the other week that Adam Woodyatt (Ian) ran the London marathon and has lost a lot of weight recently by low carbing. I wonder if they will write his significant weight loss into the storyline.

Damtov8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Noticed Ian looks so much better in EE. Hope they put the low carb info in the program. They havr a golden opportunity to help a lot of people with this. Hope they bring in the fact that low-carb high-fat really does help diabetics.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did watch it this evening and as I understood it Jane was encouraging Ian to eat the salad she was about to prepare, at which he pulled a face, so she said something along the lines of "you don't want to be on insulin for the rest of your life, do you".

As a type 2 that would have immediately put me off eating carbs and tucking into the salad. I see nothing wrong with that at all.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I try not to get touchy on this but it is important to note. One of my best friends has recently got Type 2 via the NHS prescribing steroids, clearly not his fault. Before diagnosis for my Type 2 below is a summary of what I was doing:

• Circa 95% of the time home made meals
  • No sugar in tea / coffee since 15 years old, diagnosed at 47
  • Around 4 fizzy drinks a year at networking (mixed with orange juice)
  • Typical Breakfasts:
    • Scotts Porridge oats, just with cinnamon (no sugar, honey etc) now know I was eating around 4 or 5 times too much
    • Home made white flour pancakes (circa 4-6) with unsweetened lemon only. Now know massive carbs.
    • Fry up with beans, hash browns toast
  • Lunch:
    • Typical bread based sandwich, bananas
    • Grapes, orange juice
    • Muller yogurts
  • Dinner:
    • Mainly home cooked, with rice, pasta, potatoes, vegetables. Desserts would be traditional types such as apple / cherry pie, sponges with custard, fruit cakes (none of the type of puddings children like)
When in a rush in London at lunch I would go for a noodle, cabbage and chicken pot (now know loads of carbs). At the weekends my wife and I would do a bottle of wine and a packet of Doritos or I would have a third of a dairy milk (this was once a week). At the weekend "we" would have supermarket cakes as a treat. On a Friday either fish and chips, a Chinese / Indian or pizza. I did not look large skinnier the Michael Mosley's (5:2 Diet guy) pictures when he got diagnosed Type 2, and was still fit enough to win Dad's races. I would say I / we were eating no different to average, even our bread was home made soda. McDonalds consumed about 3 times a year, and was given up way before diagnosis by the whole family.

During early December 2014 I felt fine, but massively deteriorated towards the end of December; it is now obvious to me that eating a punnet of grapes, a packet of extra strong mints most days (didn't think of these as sweets - doh), a litre of Delmont orange juice most days (then when I started to get diabetes symptoms of thirst I drank more pure orange juice), the high carb meals above, punctuated with Christmas treats, it is no wonder Type 2 came about. If I were to place on a table the food I was eating many would say on the whole it looked reasonable, but the carb content was way over standard (without my knowledge) on base of oats, fruit, pasta, rich, potatoes.

Being over 45 and from a West Indian background, I literally was being primed for Type 2. This is due to the high carb foods within the culture, it was not so much the individual foods, rice, peas, yams, bread fruit, green bananas etc, it was more that multiple carbs would be on a plate, followed by sweet fruit such as pineapple and mango - talk about laying the foundation for Type 2. I do not class this as my fault, as I was not a massive boozer, did not eat much fast food and was not constantly snacking. I would actually say the difference between someone who gets diagnosed Type 2 and a regular average person is carbohydrate tolerance, I would suggest many non-diabetics have a lifestyle not that different to the average newly diagnosed Type 2, I think this is backed up by the number of pre-diabetics and the circa 33% of population (50% in the states) who have metabolic issues.