Easter Meltdown, strange BG reading

karona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Easter Sunday was lovely, with family and friends round for a proper roast dinner. There were loads of chocolate eggs on the go, and only a few "sorry, couldn't find a diabetic chocolate egg for you" type comments. The wine was flowing freely, and only a couple of "would you like coffee, or something instead" comments. (I'm by no means tea-total) I only had to say a couple of times "I'm feeling really good, thanks, yes I've lost a lot of weight, but it's all planned", and the conversation eventually moved away from people with missing feet, and was I going to go blind?
Mid afternoon, however, I finally cracked: by 5 pm I'd gorged on a pound of milk chocolate, and had two large glasses of white wine, thinking "I'll deal with the consequences later".
I've managed my Type 2 for months now by diet alone, I've shed 22 kilos in a year, I test regularly before my main evening meal, and haven't been over 5.8 for a long time. I fully expected my sugar to be very, very high, especially as everything had started to annoy me, I had turned into a complete grouch. However, when I tested at about 5:30 pm my sugar was 3.8, extremely low for me! I retested, using a different site, and an older machine, and got the same result. A couple of hours after eating roast lamb and loads of veg my sugar tested at 5.7, but I was very, very tired.
So why was I so spectacularly wrong with my expectations of the effects of chocolate and wine on blood sugar levels? Surely chocolate is the sugar/carbs motherlode, especially when you eat enough to make yourself feel sick?
I'm fully back on track this morning, 5.5 after 14 hours with nothing further to eat/drink.

Reactions: Ultramum

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Easter Sunday was lovely, with family and friends round for a proper roast dinner. There were loads of chocolate eggs on the go, and only a few "sorry, couldn't find a diabetic chocolate egg for you" type comments. The wine was flowing freely, and only a couple of "would you like coffee, or something instead" comments. (I'm by no means tea-total) I only had to say a couple of times "I'm feeling really good, thanks, yes I've lost a lot of weight, but it's all planned", and the conversation eventually moved away from people with missing feet, and was I going to go blind?
Mid afternoon, however, I finally cracked: by 5 pm I'd gorged on a pound of milk chocolate, and had two large glasses of white wine, thinking "I'll deal with the consequences later".
I've managed my Type 2 for months now by diet alone, I've shed 22 kilos in a year, I test regularly before my main evening meal, and haven't been over 5.8 for a long time. I fully expected my sugar to be very, very high, especially as everything had started to annoy me, I had turned into a complete grouch. However, when I tested at about 5:30 pm my sugar was 3.8, extremely low for me! I retested, using a different site, and an older machine, and got the same result. A couple of hours after eating roast lamb and loads of veg my sugar tested at 5.7, but I was very, very tired.
So why was I so spectacularly wrong with my expectations of the effects of chocolate and wine on blood sugar levels? Surely chocolate is the sugar/carbs motherlode, especially when you eat enough to make yourself feel sick?
I'm fully back on track this morning, 5.5 after 14 hours with nothing further to eat/drink.

It sounds to me like you have reduced your insulin resistance a a result of the diet and weight loss, so your body is better able to cope with the sugar, however you still produce too much insulin and thus you overshot the targets giving you the 3.8 .
reading.

Ive had a couple of surprising results when things didn't do what I expected . Either way it sounds like you had a good easter sunday !

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @karona ,

Alcohol will reduce your blood glucose levels and it sounds like you may have had enough to counter the chocolate.
You can read up for yourself here.............
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-alcohol.html

Reactions: karona and Freema

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes, sounds like the alcohol, and your weight loss helped.

I have also found that my body can tolerate chocolate (which is a combo of fat and carbs and a wee bit of protein), much better than it can cope with less diluted carbs (such as icing, or low fat cakes, or sweet fruit). The fat slows the absorption.

Of course, I try not to think about this too much, in case I get tempted to indulge in too much choccy... ;) because carbs and fats together are a quick way to gain weight...

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I experienced almost the same so it seems our pancreas and insuline resistance have bettered from taking care in everyday life . I didn't get as low as you though only 5.2 after two days of binging in sugars and a little alcohol

Reactions: karona

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, it was the alcohol. It has very strange effects. Insulin users will confirm this as they have to be very careful not to have a hypo after too much alcohol. It doesn't even take "too much" in some cases.

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Ha I love your humour ! My mother keeps asking me how my diet is going - and consequently omitted inviting me n hubby for Easter Lunch as she didn't know what to make - we have ' had words ' .. :arghh: