Easter

derek1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Veg of any kind.
Hi, how do you cope with easter, eggs and rabbits every were, cadburys cream eggs all over the place, and a 4 day holiday calling out to you to eat chocolate. Dark or milk, that is the question.

SueR

Buy the quality chocolate from Aldi and only eat a small amount of it.

I am a chockky-holic and I'll give anything up except that.

MadMat

I've found a small amount of Malteasers or a malt-easter bunny doesn't upset my BG meter too much :D

Mat

A

Anonymous

Many years have passed since I had an easter egg. I will have to make do with a nice big salad with a leg of lamb :lol:

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jeannemum said:
Many years have passed since I had an easter egg. I will have to make do with a nice big salad with a leg of lamb

It just doesn't have the same appeal :thumbdown:

This will be my first Easter with diabetes and I only hope I can do better than I did at my first Christmas with diabetes. :oops:

A

Anonymous

My first too Choc. I think I am more traumatised by the thought of no hot cross buns.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have 1 stripe of Lidl's dark hazelnut chocolate every night. It's only about 33% sugar and I only have that little bit, so it's fine. Dark chocolate may sometimes be high in sugar. Check the label.
Hana

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Well, regarding the buns (or the lack of :( ), I found this alternative recipe.

http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/index.p ... &Itemid=56

Have also found that a M&S Hot Cross Bun is over 33 grams of carb. Now, let's say I halved it, toasted it then spread it liberally with gorgeous butter..that would only be 15 grams of carbs.

The fat in the butter would help keep the bg down and..and..awww, who the heck am I kidding? :roll:

I'm either going to avoid them completely (highly unlikely if I'm honest) or have a whole one (highly likely if I'm honest).

Not a choccy lover so that will be my indulgence, will have to eat very carefully elsewhere!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
derek1960 said:
Hi, how do you cope with easter, eggs and rabbits every were, cadburys cream eggs all over the place, and a 4 day holiday calling out to you to eat chocolate. Dark or milk, that is the question.

I just don't eat them. I did once enjoy Aldi's 90% dark chocolate but give this up around 2 years ago.

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have an easter egg in my drawer at work - courtesy of our manager.....not sure what to do with it...probably share it with boyfriend but he is not too fussed about chocolate. Last year i gave him a chocolate bunny which was in the fridge for months....unacceptable!!!!!

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
derek1960 said:

Not my thing chocolate so not an issue. Like others hot cross buns will be the problem but a couple toasted with butter should be ok. Can't be good all the time!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave up chocolate 5 months ago, well before my diagnosis, it was for weight loss purposes. To begin with it was as hard as when I gave up smoking. It took about 4 weeks for the craving to stop.

Now I hardly even think of chocolate. It is always in the fridge for my hubby and children, but I dont want to touch it as i now know I am one of those people who get addicted to it.

So I am having a HUGE bunch of flowers instead : )

WhitbyJet

I feel so sad reading about how some of the lovely people here are struggling and craving food that has the very real potential of making them seriously ill.

Somehow I would like to beam you all up here, sit you down in my lovely garden out in the Easter sunshine (ever the optimist) and cook you up a low carb treat including luscious dessert to help you forget those cravings. (Would even throw in a few new potatoes tossed in butter and freshly chopped parsley for those that dont want to do VERY low carb).

I dont want to hear of anyone being ill, I know what those high numbers can do, they got me in the end and am still paying the price to this very day.

Be healthy, you owe it to yourselves x x

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
No Easter eggs for me as I don't like chocolate anyway and no hot cross buns.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was always grumpy if I was to actually part with money on easter chocolate products before The Big D. All that packaging and those hyped up prices!
As a child, we got the little mug with an egg in, I had two of those mugs for years. I stopped buying easter chocolate years and years ago when I finally decided that it in no way represented what easter means (and I have no particular faith) and the fact I HATE giving my heard earned money away!!

wiflib

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Yes a small amount of chocolate won't hurt, i also tend to go for maltesers.

tracey167

WhitbyJet

Use the low carb yeast dough recipe I posted yesterday to create a hot cross bun, just add spices, sweetener, bit of peel, teeny amount of raisins.......brush with melted butter before baking......

tandydog

I won a box of chocolates in a raffle last week. So I had one dark chocolate (orang filling, wonderful!) then passed the box around out table where they were demolished. Everyone kept on saying 'do you want one? Oh no you can't, what a shame' :(

I was given a chocolate by a friend the other day, I took it sucked it for about 5 seconds then spat it out :( The taste was wonderful! But guilt got the better of me. I did eat a easter egg though, but it was a tiny weenie weenie one that was smaller than my small finger nail (I have small fingers) so that was ok :lol:

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Our team were each given a creme egg at work today.

I am really proud of myself as I gave mine away. :cry:

If you know me then you'll know that's a real achievement. (especially as I already had blood taken on Friday for my hba1c so a cheat today wouldn't have shown up!)