Status
Not open for further replies.

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!
Now that I managed to make grilled meals, I want to expand my abilities to casseroles (cooked meat, not sure how you call them).
I crave stuff like this: http://www.natural-low-carb-store.co.uk/collections/dinners
Is it so easy that I can put cubes of meat (precut sold at Tesco), some other ingredients and click a button and have it cooked?
I cannot be above the pot to stir it every now and then or to check it to see if it is done.
Is there a device that can do all that itself?
Thanks!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello!
Now that I managed to make grilled meals, I want to expand my abilities to casseroles (cooked meat, not sure how you call them).
I crave stuff like this: http://www.natural-low-carb-store.co.uk/collections/dinners
Is it so easy that I can put cubes of meat (precut sold at Tesco), some other ingredients and click a button and have it cooked?
I cannot be above the pot to stir it every now and then or to check it to see if it is done.
Thanks!

A slow cooker is a useful and a valuable piece of kitchen equipment . Easy to use and can be plugged in anywhere, but obviously in a safe place.

lizf4619

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!
Thanks!
Do you have a slow

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No I don't. But is there any automated? that will stir the food and shut down when done?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I don't. But is there any automated? that will stir the food and shut down when done?
With a slow cooker you don't need to do this - it doesn't need stirring and you can put it on low for up to 8 to 10 hours. I make loads of suff in mine including low carb cakes - they are very cheap I got one from asda for about £8. You can use cheap cuts of meat it cooks them lovely and tender. Great in the winter time for casseroles and soup. I never add liquid with mine except for a tablespoon or so as the food makes its own liquid - well done on starting to want to cook for yourself - I know you didn't cook at all in the beginning

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Generally, I never stir when slow cooking.

I believe it is possible to acquie slow cookers with automated functions, but if I am to be out all day and unable to be around, if I need to be out longer than the recipe times required, I cook on a lower setting.

Personally, I feel no need for an expensive slow cooker. Mine is pretty cheap, but works well. If I id want something automated, I would consider something like this: http://www.lakeland.co.uk/70670/Multi-Cooka-4-5L-Family-Multi-&-Slow-Cooker

Cat0409_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The best things about a slow cooker are
1. Set and forget
2.you don't have to cut up meat into small pieces . You can use whole chooks or other poultry , meat on the bone, slabs of meat like brisket
3.you can play with flavor with spices and herbs
4. You can add veg to flavor as well or not
5.you don't have to add tons of liquid so you can use water, broths, coconut milk etc
6. Low and slow gives heaps more flavour
7. Only one pot to clean
8. You can add extra bits before service like nuts, parsley sour cream, chimmichurri etc
9. You can serve directly from it at the table even when you have guess.
10. You can cook soup, cakes, desserts etc in one not just stews or casseroles

I am sure there are lots more reasons

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
The best things about a slow cooked are
1. Set and forget
2.you don't have to cut up meat into small peices. You can use whole chooks or other poultry , meat on the bone, slabs of meat like brisket
3.you can play with flavor with spices and herbs
4. You can add veg to flavor as well or not
5.you don't have to add tons of liquid
6. Low and slow gives heaps more flavour
Your post has inspired me to dig mine out again:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use mine all the time in the cooler months, its a life saver because I have a husband who runs his own business and is never on time for meals. I throw the stuff in, add a little liquid (very little) and a knorr stock cube - and 6 hrs later its cooked. It doesn't matter if he's 2hrs late I just switch it off and the food stays hot without spoiling for up to 10 hrs so long as you don't lift the lid and stir it!
It does not like being stirred
. (because you allow the liquid to escape as steam).
You can pick up a small one for around £11 at Tesco and Asda.
I'm pleased your grilling has been sucessful.
A packet of pre cut meat, pre cut onions, pre cut carrots - assuming you are eating root vegetables (which do contain carbs) greens are not suitable.) plus a stock cube ....... easy peasy. More professional and a lot cheaper to prepare everything yourself of course.
Add herbs and spices when you're feeling more confident.
Good luck!

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can it cook faster, let's say within half an hour? Or I need other device or this?
Because I usually decide what is my appetite for my meal few hours before I eat, so I need to prepare my meal fast.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can it cook faster, let's say within half an hour? Or I need other device or this?
Because I usually decide what is my appetite for my meal few hours before I eat, so I need to prepare my meal fast.
How about batch cooking in a slow cooker? Easy to chuck the ingredients in and leave them all day. Then eat what you want from the batch, then portion up and feeze the rest. Microwave the frozen portions as and when you need them.

sledgegreen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am another fan of slow cookers. I love the way that I can prepare my evening meal in the morning when I am fresh and awake, and then at the end of the day when I am exhausted it is ready waiting for me.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You might want to look into traditional Basque cooking and get the kind of clay pot to do it in. Basically meat and veggies so in proper proportions into the covered clay pot which goes in the oven at set temperatures. It is very set it and forget it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_pot_cooking

This somewhat reminds me of a cooking/travel documetary I saw ages ago set in Morocco?
The cook (who's name I forget.) gathered all the ingredients from the market, made this stew. Then took it to a sort of communal hot house/oven...
He came back a number of hours later, claimed his pot & dinner was served. Great idea!

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In your original post you say - 'if I am to be out all day and unable to be around,' - not that you are deciding what to eat only half an hour beforehand. Stews and casseroles need long slow cooking. You should be looking at stir-frys and microwaves and such for a quick meal.
Your slow cooker is intended to be set then left strictly alone whilst you are out.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
:cool:Contradiction seems to be a regular issue in the OP's posts. Makes things rather confusing..

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hmm.
I agree its very confusing Ladybird, ..... hole in his bucket, maybe!
How old are you Greener? Do you live at home or in digs (student accommodation perhaps?)

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.