Easy To Follow Weight Loss Tips

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How many times do we have to point out that WE DO NOT NEED CARBS FOR ENERGY - WE ARE EQUALLY CAPABLE OF USING FAT AS WELL/INSTEAD. If you take the time to read the forum, you'll also find that we have a number of low carbing marathon runners and other athletes here.

With apologies for not only shouting but bellowing too...
Robbity
Hear hear.

Carbs are the least useful, least nutrient dense, most pointless part of the modern diet.
And they cause BG spikes in diabetics.

I accept that they taste nice, are cheap and easy to bulk our diets with, but they are not, and have never been necessary for energy.

Reactions: 6 people

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You deal with spikes using fast acting insulin. ? I've read many threads on the forum.

You'll be eating a hell of lot of fat to give you the energy for a carb burning physical lifestyle.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
bonus, you need to quote credible sources, to state something as fact.
you are entitled to your opinion and if your premise what you say with IMO, life will be easier

Reactions: 4 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You deal with spikes using fast acting insulin. ? I've read many threads on the forum.

You'll be eating a hell of lot of fat to give you the energy for a carb burning physical lifestyle.

Only if you're an insulin dependent diabetic - which a lot of the people on this forum are not.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

There are type 1 insulin users on this forum who do not use carbs as their main source of energy and run long distance competitive races.

If they can do it, then we mere mortals don't need them either.

Reactions: 6 people

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who value money over family/friendsip

Seeing as energy of fat per gram is much higher than energy of carbohydrate per gram (please look up the exact numbers if u don't believe me) and I mean energy as in calorific, that statement is not true. The body can very well adapt to using both sources for atp metabolism in cells.

I'm currently on the fence regards low carbing, peering over watching the kids having a good time as it were lol want to look into it a little more then I may well hop over and join in we'll see, but there is no doubt it works extremely well for alot of individuals!

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@sunday1980 sunday at 18st, you don't need to worry about whether it's healthy for a 8-9st person to live on high fat diet for the next 40 years
cut your carbs, go LC and eat or not eat fat as you wish. I'm not eating grain and potato carbs and counting my protein, the fat is enough so I don't get hungry but it's under what a normal 2000cal would be for LCHF would be. because I'm on 1200-1500cal a day

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!

I read your posts with interest. It's true, most t2 when diagnosed are overweight. In my case horrendously obese for my height. I believe the figure is 80% of t2 when diagnosed are overweight. What's interesting though is that only 20% of obese people have diabetes. I don't think that it as simple as having eaten yourself into this state and there is increasing evidence that genetics as well as an unhealthy life style plays a part. You talk about moderation but since getting a meter I have learnt that all the things which I considered healthy raise my bs and make me feel very ill. (Rice, pasta, bread). Potatoes funnily enough are not too bad but I don't like them :( by eating low carb and upping my fat content I have lost 2 stone 6lbs. My bs came down to 5.5 a 6.5 in day with fasting at 6.2 - 6.8 most days. To get to my ideal weight, I need to lose another 3 stone 9lbs. Apart from when I am ill, my energy levels are fine. Infact recently I have done more exercise. Obviously we are all different and we should all do what works for us. My hubbie was 2 stone overweight and therefore obese. Very sporty up till when we had kids. Did LCHF for 3 months and lost 2 stone. Not diabetic and now at target weight. Does quite a bit of sport these days and has no issue with energy levels. I don't know what type you are or what you weigh but maybe you could try it before writing it off completely.

Reactions: 2 people