eat meat drink water

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@NoCrbs4Me how long have you been on just Beef, bacon and eggs diet? I was wondering has it not affected your Cholesterol or Triglycerides levels? you are lucky I cannot since mine shoot up on a total meat and eggs diet.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
@NoCrbs4Me how long have you been on just Beef, bacon and eggs diet? I was wondering has it not affected your Cholesterol or Triglycerides levels? you are lucky I cannot since mine shoot up on a total meat and eggs diet.
About 3 years. Before that I was LCHF. My cholesterol/triglyceride numbers didn't change much on zero carb compared to LCHF.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Is it both your cholesterol and your triglycerides that shoot up eating meat and eggs? I know everyone can be very different with different kinds of ways of eating, but my understanding is it is most usual for triglycerides to go right down eating such a diet. (Triglyceride tests just to remind, need to be taken after not eating overnight, ie a fasting blood lipid test, in order to see how your body is dealing with the food you eat, rather than mainly measuring your most recent meal.)

My understanding too is that how much cholesterol you have does not line up with mortality rates, does not clog arteries in the simplistic sense, and does not cause heart disease ie you don't die too early from having 'too much' of it. In actual fact, if you get to be old you are more likely to die earlier from having too little of it.

But LCHFer/paleo eaters/zero carbers who also have high cholesterol can be test creatures? I offer myself as one. (I know my medical centre and life insurance underwriters see me that way!)

Now, my too high blood glucose, and my high-normal insulin - that's another story!

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it both your cholesterol and your triglycerides that shoot up eating meat and eggs? I know everyone can be very different with different kinds of ways of eating, but my understanding is it is most usual for triglycerides to go right down eating such a diet. (Triglyceride tests just to remind, need to be taken after not eating overnight, ie a fasting blood lipid test, in order to see how your body is dealing with the food you eat, rather than mainly measuring your most recent meal.)

My understanding too is that how much cholesterol you have does not line up with mortality rates, does not clog arteries in the simplistic sense, and does not cause heart disease ie you don't die too early from having 'too much' of it. In actual fact, if you get to be old you are more likely to die earlier from having too little of it.

But LCHFer/paleo eaters/zero carbers who also have high cholesterol can be test creatures? I offer myself as one. (I know my medical centre and life insurance underwriters see me that way!)

Now, my too high blood glucose, and my high-normal insulin - that's another story!

Many thanks for your response.

I was on a statin till two months ago 20 mg which a new young docter stopped after seeing my lipid fasting blood test values which were within normal ranges. But now in the latest test all have increased to Total Cholesterol 5.9, LDL 3.57, and Triglycerides 2.05, however, HDL is OK.

I am 67 years old and very concerned about my elevated values since I have been on 20mg atorvastatin dose from the last 10 years and have managed very well. I also take medicine for B.P. from long. Add to this is my recent diagnoses of T2 8 months ago at a HbAic of 7% and was prescribed 2 x 500 mg Metformin per day :arghh:

As for my meals, I have always had, chicken, mutton and vegetables and limited beef and eggs. Have limited carbs to control glucose levels and since it is Ramadan for us these days do 16:8 fasting.

I am supposed to visit hospital next week for further prescription of medicines. I feel like putting in a complaint about this doctor for not looking at my history of medical condition before discontinuing any of the prescribed medicines. As a matter of fact I have copies of all my blood tests since 2006. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Last edited:

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables

I was on a statin till two months ago 20 mg which a new young docter stopped after seeing my lipid fasting blood test values which were within normal ranges. But now in the latest test all have increased to Total Cholesterol 5.9, LDL 3.57, and Triglycerides 2.05, however, HDL is OK.

I am 67 years old and very concerned about my elevated values since I have been on 20mg atorvastatin dose from the last 10 years and have managed very well. I also take medicine for B.P. from long. Add to this is my recent diagnoses of T2 8 months ago at a HbAic of 7% and was prescribed 2 x 500 mg Metformin per day :arghh:

As for my meals, I have always had, chicken, mutton and vegetables and limited beef and eggs. Have limited carbs to control glucose levels and since it is Ramadan for us these days do 16:8 fasting.

I am supposed to visit hospital next week for further prescription of medicines. I feel like putting in a complaint about this doctor for not looking at my history of medical condition before discontinuing any of the prescribed medicines. As a matter of fact I have copies of all my blood tests since 2006. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Obviously your cholesterol will go up when you stop taking statins. The statin is what got it to a so-called normal level. Seems quite obvious. And I bet if you stopped the BP med your blood pressure would increase.

Beef and eggs shouldn’t affect your cholesterol levels any more than chicken and mutton.

I’d be happy with total cholesterol at 5.9, but not triglyceride at 2.05.

Your triglyceride level indicates your carb intake is still quite high.

Reactions: AloeSvea

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Oh dear! Re the prescribed medicines scenario.

And that was no rant - being able to go into the nitty gritty and the details of our own bodily workings and have others engaging in discussion on it is partly what forums are all about! :). It's great!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But now in the latest test all have increased to Total Cholesterol 5.9, LDL 3.57, and Triglycerides 2.05, however, HDL is OK.

Did you fast 8 to 10 hours before this test? Water only. If you didn't, there is nothing wrong with your triglycerides. Up to a value of 2.3 is acceptable in a non-fasting test. (1.9 in a fasting test)

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you fast 8 to 10 hours before this test? Water only. If you didn't, there is nothing wrong with your triglycerides. Up to a value of 2.3 is acceptable in a non-fasting test. (1.9 in a fasting test)
Yes, these results are fasting.... all my Lipid profile tests have always been.

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Obviously your cholesterol will go up when you stop taking statins. The statin is what got it to a so-called normal level. Seems quite obvious. And I bet if you stopped the BP med your blood pressure would increase.

Beef and eggs shouldn’t affect your cholesterol levels any more than chicken and mutton.

I’d be happy with total cholesterol at 5.9, but not triglyceride at 2.05.

Your triglyceride level indicates your carb intake is still quite high.

My doctor advised the same years ago that as long as I take statins Triglyceride levels will remain within acceptable levels which was initially at 4.7. On the onset, I was prescribed 40mg and then later reduced to 20 mg.

Here in Pakistan doctors generally advise to limited consumption of beef, cream and egg yolks since they are supposed to raise cholesterol. But on this forum many people are doing LCHF/meat, cream etc. I am confused and now feel that maybe all my B.P/Cholesterol and T2 are a result of high Carbs consumed all my life:banghead:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am confused and now feel that maybe all my B.P/Cholesterol and T2 are a result of high Carbs consumed all my life

High blood pressure, high triglycerides, and T2 diabetes are all linked and form what is known as metabolic syndrome. The other elements in this group are fatty liver and insulin resistance, and a large waist circumference. Not everyone has all of these conditions. A major cause is high natural insulin levels, and as insulin is produced whenever we eat carbs, the more carbs we eat the more insulin gets produced. Fruit can also play a large part. However, protein sources such as meat and fish, and natural fat sources such as dairy and eggs, do not trigger much of an insulin response. In addition to that, the idea that any foods that contain cholesterol, such as eggs, affect our body's cholesterol is wrong, and has been proved to be so. Our livers manufacture the vast majority of our cholesterol as it is needed to keep us alive and functioning. Our food adds only a small proportion of this.

Reducing the carbs to a low enough level will help with the metabolic syndrome. Avoiding fatty foods is not likely to.

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Bluetit1802 Many thanks for your message on metabolic syndrome which completely fits me. I weighed 82 kg height 5.1 when diagnosed T2 my waist was large. I have led a very busy life working in an office, caring for my mother and the rest of it with two children and husband....never had time for myself. Being diagnosed as T2 was a rude shock eight months ago. For the first time, I have taken myself seriously instead of just popping pills and running against time and have managed to lose 12 lbs. by walking for 20 minutes daily and limiting my intake of bread/rice. I am still eating fruit like oranges/guava/peach and mango a cup or two a day but will stop it forthwith.
Finding this forum has been a blessing for me with all the valuable information and advice from you all....thanks again.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bluetit1802 Many thanks for your message on metabolic syndrome which completely fits me. I weighed 82 kg height 5.1 when diagnosed T2 my waist was large. I have led a very busy life working in an office, caring for my mother and the rest of it with two children and husband....never had time for myself. Being diagnosed as T2 was a rude shock eight months ago. For the first time, I have taken myself seriously instead of just popping pills and running against time and have managed to lose 12 lbs. by walking for 20 minutes daily and limiting my intake of bread/rice. I am still eating fruit like oranges/guava/peach and mango a cup or two a day but will stop it forthwith.
Finding this forum has been a blessing for me with all the valuable information and advice from you all....thanks again.

Well done on the weight loss - that is excellent. Continuing to eat reduced carbs and fruit will see you lose a lot more, hopefully, as well as improving your metabolic syndrome.