eat meat drink water

D

Deleted member 308541

They have started to behave more responsibly after they did in the Dodo? :D
The Dodo was not a native bird to Australia, so it is quite wrong to cast aspersions on Indigenous people.
The Dodo (Raphus cucullatus) is an extinct flightless bird that was endemic to the island of Mauritius, east of Madagascar in the Indian Ocean.
A lot of Australian native fauna has become extinct since the white settlement began in 1787.

Reactions: Prem51

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Dodo was not a native bird to Australia, so it is quite wrong to cast aspersions on Indigenous people.

A lot of Australian native fauna has become extinct since the white settlement began in 1787.
Is any humor or use of smileys completely lost on this thread???

And why bring in Australia? ...it is quite wrong...

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
there are some days i try this way of eating(woe)
to some extent minus the "other" animal body parts
that arent the everyday parts we usually eat
but i dont do it often because i still have trouble
with the fat and end up all protein except for whats
naturally in the meat cuts
i added oil today but not sure if oil is allowed
and if eggs are allowed
and i fear that "rabbit starvation" thing
so i dont feel free to do this woe every day yet

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
there are some days i try this way of eating(woe)
to some extent minus the "other" animal body parts
that arent the everyday parts we usually eat
but i dont do it often because i still have trouble
with the fat and end up all protein except for whats
naturally in the meat cuts
i added oil today but not sure if oil is allowed
and if eggs are allowed
and i fear that "rabbit starvation" thing
so i dont feel free to do this woe every day yet

for an example
not eating veggies takes away adding some of the easier forms of fat
like salad dressings and dips
so i have trouble coming up with ideas to eat fats

ghost_whistler

Could you eat only chicken/poultry?

How much offal/liver is necessary - as healthy as it is, it's such an acquired taste!

I get that people say this diet is healthy for them, fair enough, but I just don't see how you get enough of all the vitamins and nutrients. There seem to be so many minerals, vits, electroylytes etc, that, even with offal, I'm not seeing how you can possibly get enough.

It's hard enough finding fatty meat these days. I'm not a huge fan of beef, but the fattiest meat i've seen in the shops is some mince in tesco that was 20%. I eat chicken which is about the same (according to the labels - thigh + skin).

Even cooked in fat you won't get much more.

ghost_whistler

Yes, everyone should always be observant of symptoms of worsening health regardless whether there has been a change of diet or not.

However, scurvy and vitamins C were already addressed previously in this thread. After almost three years of zero carb I've see no signs of scurvy in me. I've never heard of anyone on a zero carb diet getting scurvy.

The person writing "Danger of Zero-Carb Diets III: Scurvy" did not follow a zero carb diet (i.e. animal derived food only). He describes his diet as follows: " I ate a lot of vegetables but no starches and hardly any fruit." He says he developed scurvy despite "eating many vegetables plus taking a multivitamin containing 90 mg of vitamin C." So obviously his scurvy had nothing to do with being on a zero carb (i.e. meat only) diet, since he wasn't on such a diet.

I think it would have been helpful if he had provided a lot more detail on his diet, since he claims his diet was partly responsible for him getting scurvy.

He concludes that his scurvy was the result of a chronic bacterial infection and a chronic fungal infection combined with a very low carb diet. It's odd that he cured his scurvy with massive vitamin C supplements, not by curing his infections or eating more carbs. If he had cured his scurvy by changing his diet to include more carbs, I might be persuaded that his so called "zero carb" diet had something to do with his scurvy.

Clearly his experience was very atypical (he got scurvy while consuming enough vitamin C that should have prevented it) and it likely had little to do with his diet.
that makes no sense. If you eat a lot of veg (presumably including lots of green leafy stuff) how can you not have vitamin C?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
for an example
not eating veggies takes away adding some of the easier forms of fat
like salad dressings and dips
so i have trouble coming up with ideas to eat fats

Duck and lamb have plenty fat on them, usually. You could have the likes of hollandaise sauce on poached eggs, oy straight mayo with cold cut meats.

If you allow yourself processed meats and cheese sometimes, then rollitos are delicious.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
that makes no sense. If you eat a lot of veg (presumably including lots of green leafy stuff) how can you not have vitamin C?
I don't think he claimed he wasn't getting any vitamin C.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Could you eat only chicken/poultry?

How much offal/liver is necessary - as healthy as it is, it's such an acquired taste!

I get that people say this diet is healthy for them, fair enough, but I just don't see how you get enough of all the vitamins and nutrients. There seem to be so many minerals, vits, electroylytes etc, that, even with offal, I'm not seeing how you can possibly get enough.

It's hard enough finding fatty meat these days. I'm not a huge fan of beef, but the fattiest meat i've seen in the shops is some mince in tesco that was 20%. I eat chicken which is about the same (according to the labels - thigh + skin).

Even cooked in fat you won't get much more.
No offal necessary. Which vitamins, minerals, and electrolytes do you think you'll be deficient in if you don't eat plants? 20% fat is fine.

ghost_whistler

No offal necessary. Which vitamins, minerals, and electrolytes do you think you'll be deficient in if you don't eat plants? 20% fat is fine.
going by the nutritional content from sources online it appears, if correct, that meat only doesn't provide enough variety.

I'm not saying that's correct, but what else do we go on? Meat is great, very nutritious, but I don't think there's enough evidence it contains all you need (ie, meat as well as other animal products like eggs, cheese, dairy etc).

From what I can gather the evidence for this diet is anecdotal. If it's helping then great, I'm not telling you what to eat. But I reserve the right to remain sceptical given what we know about the content of food.

ghost_whistler

I don't think he claimed he wasn't getting any vitamin C.
If the argument is that one is at risk of scruvy then that points to a deficiency of Vit C, which is incongruous with a diet that should, if he's telling teh truth, have enough of it. Spinach for instance has a fair amount of the stuff.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
If the argument is that one is at risk of scruvy then that points to a deficiency of Vit C, which is incongruous with a diet that should, if he's telling teh truth, have enough of it. Spinach for instance has a fair amount of the stuff.
To be honest, I don't understand his argument. In any event, his story has nothing to do with a zero carb (no plant) diet, since he was eating vegetables. That was the main point of my critique of his critique.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
going by the nutritional content from sources online it appears, if correct, that meat only doesn't provide enough variety.

I'm not saying that's correct, but what else do we go on? Meat is great, very nutritious, but I don't think there's enough evidence it contains all you need (ie, meat as well as other animal products like eggs, cheese, dairy etc).

From what I can gather the evidence for this diet is anecdotal. If it's helping then great, I'm not telling you what to eat. But I reserve the right to remain sceptical given what we know about the content of food.
I understand your skepticism since we are bombarded daily by the media that we need to eat more fruits and vegetables.

BUT...which particular vitamins, minerals, and electrolytes are missing from an animal only diet that humans can't live without?

Reactions: AloeSvea

ghost_whistler

I can't give you a complete list. I'm not making a definitive claim one way or the other, only going by what the data says. So for instance chicken doesn't seem to have a huge amount of some minerals, or vitamin c, for instance. Certain vitamins are more abundant in plants (vitamin c is a good example).

ghost_whistler

To be honest, I don't understand his argument. In any event, his story has nothing to do with a zero carb (no plant) diet, since he was eating vegetables. That was the main point of my critique of his critique.

Right, it just seemed utterly incongruous to be deficient while eating foods rich in vitamin C. Unless he was being dishonest

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I can't give you a complete list. I'm not making a definitive claim one way or the other, only going by what the data says. So for instance chicken doesn't seem to have a huge amount of some minerals, or vitamin c, for instance. Certain vitamins are more abundant in plants (vitamin c is a good example).

So it turns out for various reasons that there is sufficient vitamin c in a typical zero carb diet. I certainly don’t have scurvy after about 3 years without any fruit or vegetables.

Perhaps a diet of only chicken is not optimal, but it seems unlikely that someone would choose to eat only chicken. I sure wouldn’t.

ghost_whistler

So it turns out for various reasons that there is sufficient vitamin c in a typical zero carb diet. I certainly don’t have scurvy after about 3 years without any fruit or vegetables.

Perhaps a diet of only chicken is not optimal, but it seems unlikely that someone would choose to eat only chicken. I sure wouldn’t.
So what do you eat?