Eating "forbidden" sweets

carophie04

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am T2 on one Gliclazide 80mg a day as could not tolerate Merformin either standard or SR. Morning reading is usually around 7.5 mmol sometimes a bit higher. I have been feeling so depressed for a couple of months now since I have had to have both a CT angiogram and a cardiac catheter angiogram since Christmas. The only thing that calms me down and eases my depression is to indulge in a few mint humbugs every day. I know I shouldn't but feel caught between the devil and the deep blue sea! If I don't eat a sweet now and then, I feel so stressed out and depressed and if I do I find my BS goes up slightly and I start getting guilt complexes and worrying about it. Anyone got any ideas as to how I can come to terms with depression without my "Humbug" crutch so to speak?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @carophie04! I like Sula Mint Humbugs which are 'sugar free'. They do contain 2.8g of carbohydrates per 3.2g sweet (including less than 0.1g sugars).
You can buy them in a lot of supermarkets, including Waitrose, and Holland & Barretts, and online on Amazon and Ebay.
They cost around £1 for a 42g pack.

sula.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Or you could try the aldi sugar free sweets - come in a variety of flavours including mint approx. £1 for 2 boxes

Reactions: 4 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Or a third option is my favourite Boots no added sugar mint humbugs, they are real humbugs with the chewy bit in the middle 4g cabs and 10cals per sweet I allow myself one after dinner to signal eating is over :) but even three sweets shouldn't take you too high

Reactions: 8 people

howe4now

Hello,
Try M&S - they have a whole range of sugar free sweets in boxes at the tills and down the snack aisle. They taste really nice and I am sure I have seen mint ones. They are either 99p or £1.19 (something around that price range) so not expensive either.

It sounds like you are doing great at managing your sugar levels :)

Reactions: 6 people

Lornylou5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Everything in Moderation I take 1000 Metformin and 100 Sitagliptin. A statin and I for my allergies. I don't have to tell people what Metformin does to the bowel. My body aches all the time.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can get nice diabetic sweets and chocolate from Thorntons.
Not anymore, stopped making them on the advice of DCUK, now have a "reduced sugar" range. Better off with high coco content "normal" chocolate instead

Reactions: 4 people

davidcw47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Carbs (sugar) flow in our blood. Eating sweet things is not as bad as people say unless GL is poor. Eat some greens before your sweet!

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If its the minty taste what about a peppermint tea, or one humbug and a peppermint tea rather than two humbugs.

Reactions: 2 people

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would get your vitamin B's and D checked out by the Dr. If they are on the low side you can feel depressed. Too much vitamin D is bad for you which is why I said get it checked out. Britain suffer more vitamin D loss in the winter. If everything is ok vitamin wise, its probably due to you having to cope with Diabetes. There are good minerals in lettuce that make you happy (the fact that I know this makes me sad lol), exercise is another mood enhancer. By exercise I mean anything that makes you move, housework, gardening, walking, cycling, dancing. By all means turn to food if you must but there are other options. Try not to let the diabetes stress you out as stress is another blood sugar rush.

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think you can have too much vitD, its water soluble and you just go to the loo and get rid of it. That's what I have read anyway. I take high dose vitD and have done for about 5 years now, so does my type 2 hubby.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi @carophie04! I like Sula Mint Humbugs which are 'sugar free'. They do contain 2.8g of carbohydrates per 3.2g sweet (including less than 0.1g sugars).
You can buy them in a lot of supermarkets, including Waitrose, and Holland & Barretts, and online on Amazon and Ebay.
They cost around £1 for a 42g pack.

View attachment 17519
Will look for them love a sweet every so often sugar free of course.

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think you can have too much vitD, its water soluble and you just go to the loo and get rid of it. That's what I have read anyway. I take high dose vitD and have done for about 5 years now, so does my type 2 hubby.
Vitamin D breaksdown calcium. too little/too much calcium leads to a whole raft of problems so technically yes you can not have too much but you need to watch the calcium levels if you are exposing yourself to too high vitamin D

letsy

vitamins A D E K are not water soluble and store up in the body. vitamin D is really quite toxic if you have too much - but most people in the UK have somewhat low levels of vit D or are even deficient - after a severe deficiency of vit D last year I know rather too much about it all.

I think Werthers orginals have started doing low sugar sweets - they might have the same nostalgia value as humbugs :)

steve_sandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I still eat sweet things, but usually as a response to a low

some sugar free sweets are excellent laxatives, not the thing to have on long car journeys :)

just_undiscovered_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds, bright lights, shopping, arrogance, reality TV shows..
You can get nice diabetic sweets and chocolate from Thorntons.
A friend of mine bought me a large box of this for Christmas, but just having a little piece of a toffee or the chocolate and I was straight on the toilet.. Doesn't agree with me at all, a shame as they taste quite nice:)