Eating out tapas - carbs

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi all, I am eating out soon with friends @ a tapas resturaunt. I'm already getting nervous about calculating the carb intake of what I eat. It's a bit like a buffet (my worst nightmare). Does anyone have any experience or advice on how to manage this. I'm not concerned about being slightly high but don't want to ruin my night with risking hypo. X

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
There are probably not as many carbs as you think. I was out recently had a beer , chicken wings, garlic prawns and sardines on toast. Unfortunately overestimated 18 units and he. Hypo later! Best of luck but enjoy

Reactions: innes32

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Thanks Ann, will just need to be careful & avoid some dishes if in doubt but all so tempting.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I try to visit the restaurant or it's website ahead of time to survey what's available. After identifying things to try, I next want to know if there's sugar added, but those questions are best asked when they're not busy. I also loosen my upper carb limit so I'm not stressed and can enjoy the evening. :)

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
I try to visit the restaurant or it's website ahead of time to survey what's available. After identifying things to try, I next want to know if there's sugar added, but those questions are best asked when they're not busy. I also loosen my upper carb limit so I'm not stressed and can enjoy the evening. :)
Thanks Winnie, I will check out a few of their dishes and maybe just stick to my own small plates rather than sharing.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe that @Chook went tapasing recently. She found it ok carbwise, I think. :) (depending on menu selection, of course)

Reactions: Soplewis12

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Ann, will just need to be careful & avoid some dishes if in doubt but all so tempting.

Just underestimate. If you have an idea of the kind of tapas that will be served, then get a rough idea of carbs beforehand. I've had tapas before and found most didn't need a bolus as they were veg based or meat. For the potato ones, I imagined a 100g potato cut into chunks as in the tapas, and that gave me a good idea how much to bolus.

If you're on s pump, you can do tiny boluses, if not bolus as needed and as you go along. I doubt you'll need that much insulin.

If you're drinking too, that might offset some of the carbs. Test lots, underestimate carbs - and enjoy yourself!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yes, thanks @Brunneria - I went to a tapas restaurant on Monday and it went fine. I am Type 2 and eat a very low carb diet that I didn't want to muck up just for one evening - so I ignored the huge amount of bread and potato dishes and, of course, ignored the (stunning looking) paella. On the menu at the place I went (called 'La Fiesta' in Doncaster) there was lots of fish, seafood, chicken, pork and one dish each of lamb or beef which both had potato in.) The aubergine dish and veg dish were gorgeous. I told the waitress could she let me know if I ordered a dish that had flour in as a thickener and, bless her, she did exactly that which gave me the chance to change my mind to something else.

My BG was raised a tiny bit at 2 hrs PP - but nothing like as much as I was expecting and so I will definitely have a meal there again.

I hope you have as good a time as I did :)

Reactions: Ultramum

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi all, I am eating out soon with friends @ a tapas resturaunt. I'm already getting nervous about calculating the carb intake of what I eat. It's a bit like a buffet (my worst nightmare). Does anyone have any experience or advice on how to manage this. I'm not concerned about being slightly high but don't want to ruin my night with risking hypo. X

Why don't you just exercise some caution and give a reduced bolus dose and correct later if necessary, that's what I do rather than let a hypo ruin the evening.

Usually if you go on-line you can get the menu from the website, failing that look on TripAdviser as customers often post photo's of the dishes on offer. Enjoy your evening.

Reactions: azure

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
If you don't want to go low then both potato dishes and breads are very prominent on tapas menus.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Thanks all, I do like a spanish omelette, which includes potatoes but could google this before I go and judge the portion size, and then the bread could judge portion size 2. Most other items will be meat/fish/chicken based.
:)

Reactions: Chook and azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks all, I do like a spanish omelette, which includes potatoes but could google this before I go and judge the portion size, and then the bread could judge portion size 2. Most other items will be meat/fish/chicken based.

The amount of potato can vary, so have a good old peer at your portion and imagine the potato pieces put together into a potato, then gauge the size, comparing it to what you normally have at home.

It's better to underestimate slightly than risk a hypo when you're out. If you test regularly, you should be fine :)

Reactions: noblehead

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Sounds good. Last time we ate out at a Tapas Restaurant we had Mackerel, Garlic Bread, Chorizo Sausage in some tomato sauce, Patatas Bravas and some Chicken Dish which I just forget what it contained, it's quite a feast and very rich too but most of all an enjoyable experience.

Have a good time @Soplewis12