eating out!

Em16

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone and HNY

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this/whether it could be useful or not/how to go about it...but here goes:

I do still love to eat out.

I've had varying responses from places to eat about LCHF meals/swopping foods in and out etc. (mostly good, luckily) and wondered if it was worth putting those pubs/restaurants/cafes etc that have been really good, with their address for others living close by/visiting area. I know people are really spread out....so it might be no use at all...what do people think?

I guess I've thought about it this morning after visiting the:

Gray Ox Inn at 15 Hartshead Ln, Hartshead, Liversedge WF15 8AL
(Close to M62 West Yorkshire)

who were just fabulous, despite being super busy, in chatting through ingredients/swops etc. etc. and then (without my asking) also reduced my bill to reflect what I'd eaten...which has never happened before!!

Em

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi everyone and HNY

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this/whether it could be useful or not/how to go about it...but here goes:

I do still love to eat out.

I've had varying responses from places to eat about LCHF meals/swopping foods in and out etc. (mostly good, luckily) and wondered if it was worth putting those pubs/restaurants/cafes etc that have been really good, with their address for others living close by/visiting area. I know people are really spread out....so it might be no use at all...what do people think?

I guess I've thought about it this morning after visiting the:

Gray Ox Inn at 15 Hartshead Ln, Hartshead, Liversedge WF15 8AL
(Close to M62 West Yorkshire)

who were just fabulous, despite being super busy, in chatting through ingredients/swops etc. etc. and then (without my asking) also reduced my bill to reflect what I'd eaten...which has never happened before!!

Em
Is it worth running it past the mods first in case it is seen as advertising or something?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
c. and then (without my asking) also reduced my bill to reflect what I'd eaten...which has never happened before!!
That's the unusual bit! I find most places will omit soemthing or do a swap, but not reduce the bill.
My biggest bugbear is when I have the cheese plate for dessert and I ask them to remove crackers, fruit and chutney and they still charge full price! Now I don't mention leaving it off, i just pocket it and bring it home for my carbers

Reactions: welovedzig

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it worth running it past the mods first in case it is seen as advertising or something?
*puts mod hat on*
No problem at all sharing favourite places, although it gets complicated if you are the owner of your favourite place!

Thank you for thinking of the forum though!
You can always use the report button in cases like this. Reporting doesn't necessarily mean you believe something is wrong, it can be just a simple way to bring something to our attention.
Using the button opens a window where you can tell us why you want to report, so we won't automatically assume something is wrong! :)

Reactions: Rachox

Em16

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, I never thought of that! It's definitely not my pub...! Possibly reach more people if I just review in trip adviser then there's no worry.

Cheers, Em

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Possibly reach more people if I just review in trip adviser then there's no worry.
@Em16 Personally I'd prefer a thread here. Even if the cafés etc are too far away to be of any practical interest, I do enjoy reading about other people's experiences. Good ones might embolden others of us to ask for what we need when eating out. I remember a while back there was a useful discussion of experiences trying for lower carb options in coffee shops.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If we talk about well known chains I must say Cotes Brasserie is very good my fave options are seabass in champagne butter sauce with veg or roasted salmon with ratatoullie. I don’t usually do dessert but they do a rich chocolate pot (ganache mousse thing) which is the size of an egg cup and gives a real choc hit without too much damage. The pubs round here are hopeless, steak and salad, none of them cook any veg to be swapped for chips.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The pubs round here are hopeless, steak and salad
@PenguinMum, I almost never ate out even pre-pandemic, but I sometimes fantasise about ordering a steak. Is there something high carb I should know about steaks in pubs? I imagine it is rather expensive.

Em16

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
If we talk about well known chains I must say Cotes Brasserie is very good my fave options are seabass in champagne butter sauce with veg or roasted salmon with ratatoullie. I don’t usually do dessert but they do a rich chocolate pot (ganache mousse thing) which is the size of an egg cup and gives a real choc hit without too much damage. The pubs round here are hopeless, steak and salad, none of them cook any veg to be swapped for chips.

Oh! Penguin Mum that sounds delicious...thank you for that! I've also just discovered a list of low carb meals in restaurants in Leeds by googling, 'Keto friendly restaurants in Leeds' and can get a list for Manchester too. Have booked into one of the Leeds ones for Thursday eve and will phone ahead to confirm that I can swop things...I'm going to hazard a guess that if they know I've found them via a specific google search, they'll be pleased to begin with and accommodating with any faff!! It's a chain too...so presume that I can mention the name - but I'll wait and see if its good first!

I'll keep you posted .... xx

Em16

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum, I almost never ate out even pre-pandemic, but I sometimes fantasise about ordering a steak. Is there something high carb I should know about steaks in pubs? I imagine it is rather expensive.
...Think steaks should be fine, just watch any sauces. I'm not such a lover of it, so never order it out - will eat a little if hubby cooks it though!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always found grilled steak to be fine. If it is available with peppercorn saice I ask for it in a separate jug and just add a spoon or so, same with dressing for the salad.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh! Penguin Mum that sounds delicious...thank you for that! I've also just discovered a list of low carb meals in restaurants in Leeds by googling, 'Keto friendly restaurants in Leeds' and can get a list for Manchester too. Have booked into one of the Leeds ones for Thursday eve and will phone ahead to confirm that I can swop things...I'm going to hazard a guess that if they know I've found them via a specific google search, they'll be pleased to begin with and accommodating with any faff!! It's a chain too...so presume that I can mention the name - but I'll wait and see if its good first!

I'll keep you posted .... xx
Good luck Em …enjoy the evening. Look forward to hearing back.

Em16

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck Em …enjoy the evening. Look forward to hearing back.
Thank you:) It was lovely: I think phoning ahead seems to be a good thing to do - staff welcoming and nothing a bother. Made numerous nice swops and food was good. This was Bills Restaurant in Leeds...looks like its a chain too xx