Eating sugar bread and buns with no BG spike

DM123@

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, has anyone else had the experience of eating bread or a bun as a test, and noticing no spoke in BG readings?

I was diagnosed in Oct 22 with HB A1C of 90, three months later after loosing 3 st its down to normal, BUT, after low carb for 4 months I tested some bread and a bun today, with BG starting at 5.1 and staying in the 5. Range for the next 3 hours......

What's up with this? (I tested wife's BG after she had the same bun and she was at 7.2 so meter is fine)

• Informative
Reactions: Mrs HJG

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I think most of us have had readings we can't explain, probably something to do with the meters 95% thing or faulty strips

Reactions: DM123@

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I had that effect when in hospitsl and forced to eat Eatwell while the doctors witheld my diabetes sweeties.(meds) I had a birthday party on the ward, and had lots of goodies and then went to M&S for pecan slice.

In my case I had Low Carbed for about 5 years anf it had taken away my Insulin reistance. Sadly, the effect was not very robust, and Eatwell charged up my batteries and put me back on diabetes meds.

Reactions: DM123@

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it was loaded with butter, or was an enriched dough bun, the spike could well have been later.
You might have been lucky. I find I can occasionally get away with something like rice but anything with wheat flour causes awful digestion problems the next day.

Perhaps give it a week or so and test the same foods again.

Lupf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DM123@ welcome and congratulations on losing the weight and getting your numbers down. Did you have another HbA1c test? What was the actual result?
Regarding your BG after eating bread. You need to continue testing, a single series of measurements could be a fluke. If you have been testing regularly you will have already realised that it is trends that matter and that single measurements can fluctuate.
There are different levels of low carb, how many grams of carbs did you eat daily?
By testing your reaction to different types of food and watching for spikes you will find out your limits.
As T2s are different we can tolerate quite different levels of carbs.
Your next HbA1c test will give an average of your BG over the last 3 months or so, this is what GPs look at.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have always found that after low carbing for a while, my insulin resistance improves, i liken it to a holiday for my pancreas. So an odd high carb meal is dealt with easily, BUT continued high carbing puts strain on the system, and performance rapidly declines to previous levels, Hence on occasions where high carb food is readily available such as parties and family gatherings i don't fret and partake, knowing that returning to my usual way of eating will get me back where i prefer being.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was taken out for brunch on Saturday for a very fancy full English breakfast. Very nice with top quality sausages, bacon etc all very low carb, BUT they had my Achilles heel of thick sour dough fried bread! It’s one thing I can’t pass on so I had it and thoroughly enjoyed it. My numbers didn’t go above 5.8, probably more to do with the fats slowing the spike etc.

I can do this about 3 or 4 times a year, if I was to do it weekly I would probably see my numbers changing very quickly. The problem with “now and then” can become monthly, weekly, daily and before you know it you’re back to square one. Having the will power to stop at just once is a talent in itself lol

DM123@

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was taken out for brunch on Saturday for a very fancy full English breakfast. Very nice with top quality sausages, bacon etc all very low carb, BUT they had my Achilles heel of thick sour dough fried bread! It’s one thing I can’t pass on so I had it and thoroughly enjoyed it. My numbers didn’t go above 5.8, probably more to do with the fats slowing the spike etc.

I can do this about 3 or 4 times a year, if I was to do it weekly I would probably see my numbers changing very quickly. The problem with “now and then” can become monthly, weekly, daily and before you know it you’re back to square one. Having the will power to stop at just once is a talent in itself lol
Yea I think this is the most likely explanation, every once in a while but continuous will recharge the cells full off suger. Every day is a school day

Reactions: lovinglife