Eating to your Meter... Literally !!!!!

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
I should also add that when my pre-meal level is low (low rather than normal) my rise after eating is greater. I put this down to me going low before I eat, the liver then dumps before my food hits my stomach. It happened this lunch time, and I checked both readings. I went up by 1.7mmol/l after a meal where the ONLY carbs were a few cherry toms, and the same meal rarely gives any rise.
Have you any information of GNG happening immediately after you eat. I dont think up to now that I have suffered from that so far. Might be something I should be thinking about

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just been reading a couple of articles I found on the 'tinternet' in relation to using your BGM as a fuel gauge.

Basically you test your BG and only eat when your testing 'set point' is below your predetermined personal score..... thats when you eat.

So for talk sake lets say your BG set point is 5.0 .
You test and your 5.8 . You dont eat
Lets say you test and your 4.8. You eat. (Only if hungry)

Here are a couple of links I found, it sounds interesting to me.

Please feel free to comment. Any views welcome. Im sure this has been done before, however its new to me

Rabby

I use this method standardly - my target before meal is max 5.6. I don’t eat if my BG is over 5.6 (never ever). This means for me to skip one meal sometimes...

Reactions: rab5

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you any information of GNG happening immediately after you eat. I dont think up to now that I have suffered from that so far. Might be something I should be thinking about
Personally I don’t. GNG is now thought to be demand driven so if your body thinks it needs the glucose it uses GNG to make it otherwise not.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I think it happens immediately before I eat, but of course can't be sure.

I only have my own personal observations. Something happens to me, and looking back at my records it seems to happen when I am probably dropping and have reached mid 4s. This is usually before lunch after an 18 hour fast. My lunches are normally under 10g carbs and cause a rise of about 0.5. when starting at my norm of around 5.2. However, if I start in the mid 4s the rise can be above 1mmol/l (and I do check these levels) It smacks of a liver dump to me to counteract the dropping levels before I eat, the liver not appreciating that I am about to eat and doing what it it is supposed to - keeping me alive and out of hypo territory. I suppose I could check this by delaying my lunch next time I see those lows and see what happens.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Ok I have set out some details of what I am going to do. Its not final needs a couple pf changes as I watch what is happening

Attachments

• blood-sugar-log etm.pdf
    31.4 KB · Views: 368

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried this a few times, but never stuck to it. My setpoint was 5.5. My BG would always rise in the afternoon to 6 or above, i never had the willpower to fast all the way to bedtime. But if you can do it, it makes for an easy in principle ( not in practice) diet to follow.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, I'm glad it's working for you! You should do what you feel is right for your body, but be careful, don't forget to consult with your doctor.
I think the last thing I would do is consult with my Doctor (unless I was on a complex variety of medicines or with other conditions). All they would do is refer you to the eatwell plate which would be a fat lot of use.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just been reading a couple of articles I found on the 'tinternet' in relation to using your BGM as a fuel gauge.

Basically you test your BG and only eat when your testing 'set point' is below your predetermined personal score..... thats when you eat.

So for talk sake lets say your BG set point is 5.0 .
You test and your 5.8 . You dont eat
Lets say you test and your 4.8. You eat. (Only if hungry)

Here are a couple of links I found, it sounds interesting to me

https://optimisingnutrition.com/2016/02/15/how-to-use-your-glucose-meter-as-a-fuel-gauge/

https://nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12986-015-0017-2

Please feel free to comment. Any views welcome. Im sure this has been done before, however its new to me

Rabby
Hi Rab, I found those articles very interesting, thank you. It sounds quite logical really and I'll bet a lot of people do it as a matter of course rather than eating 3 'set meals' at set times of the day which I have never done anyway. Can I ask, do you think that your current regime isn't working or is hard to stick to?

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
I think the last thing I would do is consult with my Doctor (unless I was on a complex variety of medicines or with other conditions). All they would do is refer you to the eatwell plate which would be a fat lot of use.

My doctor. I haven’t spoke to him

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Hi Rab, I found those articles very interesting, thank you. It sounds quite logical really and I'll bet a lot of people do it as a matter of course rather than eating 3 'set meals' at set times of the day which I have never done anyway. Can I ask, do you think that your current regime isn't working or is hard to stick to?

My way of eating has worked. I never let myself settle for more than a few days. I ate to the meter but my BG was low to start with. It did work. I lowered my average overall