Eddoes

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been trying to look for the nutritional values of these. They are supposedly high in carbs but low in sugar? Not sure how that works.
Jerusalems are carby but in the form of inulin so therefore not digestible (hence the nickname, fartichokes).

Does anyone have any info on Eddoes? I have done a Google but simply can't find the info.

TIA

wiflib

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks WJ. It's where I got the original info from. It says;

Total Carbs. 38.1g
and
Sugars 1.7g

which is why I'm a bit confused. I've been searching for blooming ages for more info but can't find it. The lappie lives but not if my frustration gets any worse!

wiflib

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
According to the Livestrong database :
Total Fat 0.4g
Saturated Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 0mg
Total Carbohydrate 45.9g
Dietary Fiber 4.2g
Sugars 1.9g
Protein 2.5g
this was for fro Tescos eddoes and is of course only as accurate as the person who recorded it.
I sounds about right for a root veg. I have to admit I had to look it up, I knew of dasheen and taro which are similar but I've never eaten it.
Wiki says taro is toxic when raw, and that it is recommended to take milk or other calcium rich foods with it so don't go poisoning yourself!

Found a study looking at GI, GL of carribean foods.
white bread 71
Eddoe 61
Irish potato 71 (from the text that's a white variety
http://www.nutritionsociety.org.uk/bjn/ ... 910971.pdf
medium GI I'm afraid :(

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that.

My son has been living with me for two months whilst looking for a place to live in London. He was warned that there are no carbs in my house and if he brings any in, he'd better hide them. The upshot of this is he's now two stones lighter and loving his new way of eating and I now have a partner in crime to try new foods and recipes; hence the eddoes.
I ate one, chipped, and hour ago and am about to test..............

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I'll test again in an hour.