education

hazel

My daughter is in p6 and was diagnosed with diabetes type 1 in november, ive just recieved her school report and it shows a significant drop in her ability in reading which i diagree with. can i ask for her to be retested as i think the diabetes has afected this result and this is an important year in schooling.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
if there was a chance the diabetes caused this then i would imagine you do have rights in a retest :)

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Hazel,
I have a son who is T1 & in P6. If your daughters reading ability at home hasn't gone down in your opinion i would certainly ask for a re test. Could be that your daughter was having an off day when tested or if her blood sugars where running a little high/low her concentration may have been affected. Its worth asking her teacher if she has taken into account her reading ability over the last few months and not over a single test. I know how anxious these tests are at this stage of our childrens education, as if they haven't already got enough to deal with.
Let us know how you get on and good luck,
Kind regards,
Suzi x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm not sure where you are, is it in Scotland?
Here in England, each school has a Special Needs Coordinator( SENCO). This teacher has considerable power. I would find out who that person is and ask for another assessment of your child. A newly diagnosed diabetic child is coping with a lot of changes.