Effect of high temperatures on BG

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have noticed my BG levels have been up a bit over the past few days coinciding with the hot weather in the UK. I've had next to no carb but fasting levels are high fives where I'm used to mid to high fours, and I had one post-meal reading of 7.3, which is very high for me (not been over six for a while). Can't think what it is other than the heat - I've been outside a lot digging mainly - lots of sweating and water intake. I know high temps are one of the things that potentially affects BG up and down, but I don't recall this affecting me before (although I only have last summer to go on).

Any ideas?

EK297

The heat definitely affects my sugars - much less predictable in the warm weather. I find I get my hypos than anything else

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have noticed my BG levels have been up a bit over the past few days coinciding with the hot weather in the UK. I've had next to no carb but fasting levels are high fives where I'm used to mid to high fours, and I had one post-meal reading of 7.3, which is very high for me (not been over six for a while). Can't think what it is other than the heat - I've been outside a lot digging mainly - lots of sweating and water intake. I know high temps are one of the things that potentially affects BG up and down, but I don't recall this affecting me before (although I only have last summer to go on).

Any ideas?
I’ve been noticing the same. I also have gone to the gym recently and in sone pain so wondered if that was a problem

but yeah, readings into the 7s and staying high for 4+ hour after eating which is unusual for me outside of fatty carbs food. Also high 5s dating where I’d normally be similar to you

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
We shall see.
Just been out for a 10 mile cycle ride (first for over 6 weeks) and I have the predictable spike.
Now to see how quickly it comes down.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are loads of things that affect our blood sugars including heat.
But the effect varies because we are all different. Some of us find heat results in higher levels but many of us find it causes lower levels.

it is another example of what amazing machine the healthy human body is in being able to regulate our blood sugars.

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
For the last few days I've been having lows more than highs. It's so aggravating - chasing highs, treating lows. Someone should use that as a hook for a tune.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
For the last few days I've been having lows more than highs. It's so aggravating - chasing highs, treating lows. Someone should use that as a hook for a tune.

Chasing high high high
Treating low low low
Wondering why why why
Did she go go go

Perhaps this is one for the older readers. :)

Reactions: KennyA

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Any ideas?
My nurse has told me the heat will make your body process any glucose in your system quicker. For me it raises my blood glucose by a quite a bit. I am struggling today and have had to take 2 extra insulin injections. I wonder if the people who have hypos process their food quicker and then as it’s not lasting and keeping them stable causes a later hypo. For me it just seems to go high and stay there! I also have frequent hypos when it drops to about zero in the winter. Walking my dog when it’s snowing has become a bit of a problem for me!

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Heat increases my blood sugar readings. About 5 days of 35 degrees at the end of June 2019 pushed my blood sugar values to 9 mmol/L after breakfast when on a normal day the values would be below 7 mmol/L. Less heat, 30-32 degrees, results in a smaller increase typically 6.5 to 7.5 mmol/L.