Effect of lassi and natural yoghurt on glucose reading

toby19104

T2: Been wearing the Abbott continuous glucose monitor and trying out different foods.
Twice now have had an Indian curry (pakura, modest quantity of rice + nan bread ) + lemon lassi drink, and blood sugar barely rose.
Today had grapes and wholemeal hot cross bun (29gms carb in bun !) along with natural live yoghurt, and though blood sugar rose, it wasn't the spike I'd normally get with that much carb.
Lassi and the live yoghurt are both slightly acidic so wondering if they could possibly be the explanation. Not enough time left on the sensor to do much more experimentation.

Reactions: Freema

MaxRebo001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Were all different, somedays i can get away with a slice of toast, others i will spike.

But its not as simple as so many carbs will do the or that the amount of fat can make a big difference in how quickly the sugar can affect levels, generally more fat means slower rises in glucose, thats my experience anyway.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
T2: Been wearing the Abbott continuous glucose monitor and trying out different foods.
Twice now have had an Indian curry (pakura, modest quantity of rice + nan bread ) + lemon lassi drink, and blood sugar barely rose.
Today had grapes and wholemeal hot cross bun (29gms carb in bun !) along with natural live yoghurt, and though blood sugar rose, it wasn't the spike I'd normally get with that much carb.
Lassi and the live yoghurt are both slightly acidic so wondering if they could possibly be the explanation. Not enough time left on the sensor to do much more experimentation.

There are so many potential variables you haven't mentioned there, like what time of the day each option was eaten, what your cumulative total was at the point you consumed each of those options, whether you have any other issues last time or today (e.g. cold/virus/infection, stress, lack of sleep as a few, whether exercise/sedentary activity varied).

Infuriatingly, this condition is very complex, and sometimes our bodies just throw in a curved ball.

As a matter of interest, did you retest the acceptable result and today's too? Either could have been inaccurate for a myriad of reasons, including a contaminated fingertip.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

when do you measure you blood glucose to know for sure you have to measure like 1 hour from the start of your dinner, and then 1.5 hour from dinner and then 2 hours after dinner..

when a meal contains much fat and/or fibres is takes longer time before the highest level of spiking.. ... so if you only measure after like 1 hour you will not get the true Picture of what is going on in spiking

toby19104

To try and answer all the above replies.
The Abbott continuous glucose monitor does not require any blood samples and reports a continuous graph.
Yes there are many variables but I will have a total of 4 weeks readings by end of tomorrow so have a good set of data.
My response is reliably the same for the same foods.
Time of day does have an effect. Sugar level starts to rise when I get up in the morning and caffeine has a slight effect.
The yoghurt effect worked again today. I know about fat and fibre and stick to wholegrain/stoneground/seeded bread mostly.
Tomorrow is the last day of the sensor. Once I've saved up I will buy another two weeks worth for more experiments.
Yoghurt worked again today with a hot cross bun. Will try yoghurt at breakfast tomorrow.

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm really interested in this. I eat LCHF ketogenic and occasionally test my ketones for feedback. Last Friday Inate at a Keralan restaurant and had only meat and vegetables, but drank a salted lassi the following morning my ketone meter said zero!!

My first thought was - since I didn't have any breads, rice, sugar etc - that there must have been starches in the sauces. Then I wondered if there might have been too much carb in the lassi. But if what you're saying is right, then it wasn't that after all.

Is the Abbott monitor very expensive? I have been wondering about getting a Freestyle Libre, but I would have to work hard to justify the cost to myself.

Redrav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Negative people
Hi Toby19104, just checking....what was your HBA1C at diagnosis? What are your reading in the mornings?