Effect of vomiting on diabetes

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
ate dinner about 8.30 last night. Possibly but too much. Had been hungry (very unusual) all day.
Felt fine. Went to sleep. All fine.

Woke up about 4 and felt incredibly sick. Hate feeling sick so made myself sick to get rid of whatever was there.
After felt a lot better no longer sick and went back to bed and slept.

Sugars were a 9.3 at 4.

Question is what effect does being sick have on diabetes and sugars?

Feel bit icky now but still going to work. Pretty certain it’s not a bug.

Sugars now at 7.21 (been awake lying in bed for 20 mins) is 9.7

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Question is what effect does being sick have on diabetes and sugars?

1) Illness and stress put sugar levels up
2) Lack of food puts sugars down.

Some of option a, some of option b, so hard to say.

As a T1 I'd be watching my levels carefully, continuing with my basal insulin, but avoiding bolus (apart from correction doses if my levels went up).

If you're not on medication then your levels may or may not go up a bit, but I'm guessing you don't have too much to worry about, as you don't have to worry about hypos.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor or a T2.

Edited to add, hope you feel better soon

Reactions: Juicyj

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What sort of levels do you see normally, when not sick - fasting, before meals, bedtimes?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@woollygal , making yourself sick, or any sort of purging after eating is not a good idea.
The fact that you felt ill after overindulging suggests that whatever you had consumed had already had an effect on your blood glucose. Your purging didn’t seem to have any beneficial effect on your BG levels either. Hardly surprising, as the food had been in your system for over 7 hours.
Making yourself sick regularly can cause damage to your teeth and oesophagus due to the acid from stomach. If you are thinking of doing this regularly them perhaps you need to seek help from GP as it could be a sign of an eating disorder.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
@woollygal , making yourself sick, or any sort of purging after eating is not a good idea.
The fact that you felt ill after overindulging suggests that whatever you had consumed had already had an effect on your blood glucose. Your purging didn’t seem to have any beneficial effect on your BG levels either. Hardly surprising, as the food had been in your system for over 7 hours.
Making yourself sick regularly can cause damage to your teeth and oesophagus due to the acid from stomach. If you are thinking of doing this regularly them perhaps you need to seek help from GP as it could be a sign of an eating disorder.
I used to have bulimia but not fir years so not something I’ve done in very long time.

I guess my history makes it easier to just get rid of it rather than lay there feeling lousy. It wasn’t just feeling sick I was getting the waves if ooh I’m going to be sick. I just get rid rather than suffer.

The question was more what effect being sick has rather than eating disorders or anything. But thank you

My meal was very low carb over the weekend it had zero affect on sugars.

Feeling bit queasy still but it’s notjing like earlier and not stopping me working.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
What sort of levels do you see normally, when not sick - fasting, before meals, bedtimes?
Now I’m off meds these levels aren’t abnormal. Going back into meds in November after next hba1c

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to have bulimia but not fir years so not something I’ve done in very long time.

ok, sorry I couldn’t give a more specific answer. Though it appears your purging was not beneficial to your blood glucose levels. I hope my previous reply will be of use to anyone else thinking of making themselves vomit after overindulging.

as you probably are aware, once can lead to habit forming.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now I’m off meds these levels aren’t abnormal. Going back into meds in November after next hba1c

If those numbers are not abnormal, they are too high. I expect you know this. You haven't been low carbing very long, so hopefully the levels will drop to more acceptable levels if you continue on your 20g carbs a day.