Effects of emotion

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey everyone.

How much do your moods influence your sugars? I am struggling lately with depression and have had a few nights of tears and the following morning my sugars are mid teens. Is this normal?

Should I increase my basal for the time being to counteract the higher sugars?

Any and all advice welcome! X

REM73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey Lynz
Sorry to hear about the depression and bad nights. I've not had an experience like this, but I do seem to experience higher glucose levels when stressed. I'm still quite new to this but I tend to use the fast acting to correct this. Sending you peaceful and happy dreams.
R

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey everyone.

How much do your moods influence your sugars? I am struggling lately with depression and have had a few nights of tears and the following morning my sugars are mid teens. Is this normal?

Should I increase my basal for the time being to counteract the higher sugars?

Any and all advice welcome! X

Hey Lynz, sorry to hear about your depression. Do you think your hormones could be a trigger for this ? The reason I ask is that I suffer hormonal issues which affect my moods and in turn push my BG levels higher, I tend to correct and test more when like this. If I can predict it then I do increase my basal dose which helps, but as said before testing lots helps to see what's going on.

Hope you're feeling better soon x

lassiedog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi some days can feel quite low, also restless nights, other times will have a good night so I would be grateful for help too. Have lost almost two stones in a year but now at a standstill so any advice on that too would be appreciated.

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lynz, sorry to hear about your depression, try to find out the root cause of your depression and fix the problem. Depression like slow poison for our body.It will impact on bg level.Try to be happy and forget about your past time.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Lynz84
I always have higher blood sugars if I've been crying (even from films!) and I find my bg goes a little haywire with any emotional changes. When I've gone through periods of feeling low my control has almost gone out of the window, I found being more sensitive with smaller adjustment doses worked well for me (but that does increase the number of injections so not ideal if you're struggling with that!)

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey everyone. Thanks so much for your advice. Depression haunts me every few years so need to properly gain control. I will be more vigilant with my bg as i can be a little fed up during low mood. Thanks again!x

Steve14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After removing a serious source of stressor from my life, my hypo occurance went down by 90%. No kidding. Sadly this stressor was masking my hyperglycemia... so afterwards I had to increase my dosages by 1-2 units daily, but it was worth it.

As for depression: it's bad because it drags you down, make you care less about yourself and others. I suggest walking. It's scientifically proven that walking (I think it was 40-60 minutes a day) cuts the risk of diabetes by 50%! As for us, diabetics, it can make us become insulin sensitive, lift our mood (especially if you get some sunshine along the way) and help with depression.

Walking is the perfect exercise because it's not as aerobic as running, and not as anaerobic as lifting weights. It's the best exercise to get in shape and/or stay in shape for a diabetic, but you must do it daily.

Reactions: Speedbird