Egg Noodles - Shocker!!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
After watching the Hairy Bikers cookery show the other day when they cooked Singapore Noodles I thought I'd try it as I like a stir fry, the recipe calls for egg noodles/vermicelli and while buying the other ingredients in the supermarket it became clear that they did not have any dry egg noodles, the only alternative was packets of Amoy - Straight To Wok Singapore Noodles and as I was planning to cook Singapore Noodles I thought they would do. Now I have always loved Pasta but since being diagnosed with diabetes I have rarely eaten it and when I do I never test now as I know I will be high and I assumed that Noodles would have a similar effect but I couldnt have been more wrong,

I ate 150g of the Noodles which promised 42.6g of carbs - I know - but it was a one off meal. I didnt test before eating but thought I would test postprandial and after 1 hr recorded 6.3 mmol/L thinking it must be a delayed reaction and that a 2 hour test would be much higher I tested again and got a 4.7 mmol/L :shock: I had totally expected to see double figures after that many carbs for dinner.

I had had 2 glasses of red wine with my meal and a small JD with a black coffee afterwards, even stranger my fasting reading this morning was 5.3 mmol/L and on the odd occasions when I take a fasting reading now it is usually in the low 6's.

Link to the recipe http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/singa ... dles_69488

So what happened? Any comments welcomed...

Reactions: Angengray

Grazer

I often have noodles and get ok readings as well; big thing though - the two glasses of red wine and the JD would have had a lot to do with it. If I have a big plate of pasta with no drink, I'll go to 8 or 9. 2 or 3 glasses of red wine and I'll be at 6 or so. Chuck in a single malt as well and I'll be high 5's.
Not advocating drinking with every meal, but when I do have a drink, I take advantage by having a nice carby meal!

leggott

We find noodles a better alternative to pasta too. I have also used the Zero Noodles which are great. Quite bland on their own, but good in a stir fry.

Grazer

leggott said:
We find noodles a better alternative to pasta too. I have also used the Zero Noodles which are great. Quite bland on their own, but good in a stir fry.

Really sorry, and each to their own, but I found zero noodles exactly that. I'll stick to real ones with a few glasses of Rioja! :thumbup:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I shall definitely be trying this or a similar recipe again in the near future and will test over a longer period as well just in case I missed a spike later on.

Be interesting to try the same dish without the booze too :thumbup: The things I do in the interests of research :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sid Bonkers said:
I shall definitely be trying this or a similar recipe again in the near future and will test over a longer period as well just in case I missed a spike later on.

I was going to suggest that Sid, testing at 4-5 hours would be good idea! :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I agree Nigel but the problem last night was we didnt eat till 7.30ish pm so my two hour reading was around 10.00 and I went to bed at 10.30pm - sad I know :lol: Which is why I was surprised to record a 5.3 this morning at 6.30am.

I am thinking at the moment that I must be OK with Singapore Noodles - Fingers crossed :thumbup:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sid Bonkers said:
I am thinking at the moment that I must be OK with Singapore Noodles - Fingers crossed :thumbup:

Hoping so too Sid, I'm not a fan of noodles but the rest of my family is......I will pass on the recipe to the wife! :wink:

xMenace

Sid Bonkers said:
So what happened? Any comments welcomed...

Your actions for the past couple of years are paying off. Your insulin response is very good.

Since were dealing with hormonal reactions, I often use sexual experiences as an analogy. It's something everybody can relate to easily. If you have an amazing sexual encounter where performance was through the roof, or it felt like it, when would you expect to be ready again? Would it be the same night, the same week, the same month? As we age, performance slows and we recover slower. 95% of us know this is true, and the other 5% are lying.

Don't expect the aged, worn down pancreas to act like its 18 again ;)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not sure about your analogy xMen
ponder2.gif
and as for having a good insulin response that may or may not be true, what is true is that if I eat white bread or scones made with white flour my bg levels quickly rise into double figures so I think its less to do with insulin response and more to do with how I react to a particular carbohydrate.

And in the interests of research I shall tonight be cooking a stir fry again with the same noodles, the only difference will be that tonight I will be adding some chicken which should make no difference really I imagine.

Will post back tomorrow with results. :thumbup:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
They are tasty arent they :D

Well I had the same as last week but added a chicken and cashew nuts in a black bean sauce, so ended up eating less of the singapore noodles as a consequence of the extra dish and here is what I recorded after wards, to save on test strips I didnt test until 2 hours.

22.25hrs.....5.7
23.26hrs.....6.2
23.56hrs.....5.7

Once again I didnt test before eating but I am happy that I have not missed a later spike so it looks like egg noodles are back on the menu fo me from now on :thumbup:

Grazer

Sid Bonkers said:
Well I had the same as last week but added a chicken and cashew nuts in a black bean sauce

Sid, When you say you had the same, did you repeat the Red Wine part as well? Or was this just a repeat of the noodles with no wine?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sorry forgot to mention, last night I had one glass of red wine with my meal and no whiskey :D

ladyfingers

Dislikes
Litter!
Hmmm this does sound interesting as I do love my noodles :) Was this with the dry egg noodles or the Amoy - Straight to Wok again?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Ladyfingers it was the Amoy straight to wok Singapore noodles, but do test yourself as just because it was/is OK for me will not necessarily mean that they are OK for you. Remember we are all different, I'm just surprised and pleased that they seem OK for me :thumbup:

Angeleyes

sidbonkers
I too have used the Amoy noodles many times, negligible effect on bs levels for me too. Very tasty as well, especially when coated in some sort of stir fry sauce. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sid Bonkers said:
They are tasty arent they :D

Well I had the same as last week but added a chicken and cashew nuts in a black bean sauce, so ended up eating less of the singapore noodles as a consequence of the extra dish and here is what I recorded after wards, to save on test strips I didnt test until 2 hours.

22.25hrs.....5.7
23.26hrs.....6.2
23.56hrs.....5.7

Once again I didnt test before eating but I am happy that I have not missed a later spike so it looks like egg noodles are back on the menu fo me from now on :thumbup:

Impressive results Sid! :thumbup:

MaryJ

You're lucky,

i tried these (150g too) 2 hr read was 10.9.

Still early days for me so may be able to try again when general reads are lower? or get the vino out :)