eggs for breakfast.

curlytrish

help....I have started to have two scrambled eggs for breakfast instead of my usual porridge. With the porridge I have 4 units of Nov rapid and with the eggs I need 8 units else my bloods are 9+ at lunch time. Why would this be when eggs are protein and eggs are car.
The amount of insulin I take at breakfast is if my blood sugar readings are below 6.00

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have read that some type 1 have to bolus for protein when eating carb free meals. Are you type 1?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As a type two I need to eat some carbs with my first meal as otherwise my BG rises all morning and then comes crashing down by mid to late afternoon. It could be something similar is going on - I usually add some grated cheese and a sliced up tomato to scrambled eggs, as that seems to keep things stable. I don't eat lunch, which could make things more volatile, but it might be worth trying a little tweak to the composition of the meal to see if it helps.

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have found I can have eggs any time of the day except breakfast time and it wont impact by BG levels.

At breakfast time I have to give my quick acting insulin with an egg. My morning ratio is 1 unit for every 0.5g of carbs!

This took me a few days of experimenting to find out.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I need to inject for protein at around half the amount I do for carbs. I eat very low carb, aiming for no more than 30g a day, if that’s any help.

Reactions: CranberryIce