Type 2 Eggs

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’ve read conflicting information about how many eggs a week are safe for diabetics. Does anyone know what it should be please? I am type 2 and not on any meds.

Thanks! :)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
In the articles you read - what reasons were given for eggs being unsafe?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
In my opinion eggs are the real McCoy when it comes to superfoods. I have a 'no limit' on my egg consumption.

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In my opinion eggs are the real McCoy when it comes to superfoods. I have a 'no limit' on my egg consumption.

I think I worry as I am trying to get my cholesterol down and I don’t want anything to make it worse.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Could you post a link, please? One that explains what bad things will happen if you eat more?

Three or four a day seems quite reasonable - 3 egg omelette for breakfast and a boiled egg as a protein snack, for example.

I tend to eat eggs most days because they are truly low carbohydrate and high fat.

Eggs don't directly increase your cholesterol levels and anyway high cholesterol levels are now thought to be a good thing, especially as you get older.

Reactions: princessleia29

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think I worry as I am trying to get my cholesterol down and I don’t want anything to make it worse.

Cholesterol in the diet makes very little difference to the levels in your body. Cholesterol is made in the liver irrespective of diet, it is vital for life, it makes up to 30% of the cell membranes walls in your body so without it we would end up as gloopy puddles on the floor.

Kendrick puts it well 'Why do eggs have so much cholesterol? Because it takes a lot of cholesterol to build a chicken'.

His book on the subject will really help your understanding of the subject. Dr. Malcolm Kendrick 'The Great Cholesterol Con'.

Reactions: princessleia29

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Could you post a link, please? One that explains what bad things will happen if you eat more?

Three or four a day seems quite reasonable - 3 egg omelette for breakfast and a boiled egg as a protein snack, for example.

I tend to eat eggs most days because they are truly low carbohydrate and high fat.

Eggs don't directly increase your cholesterol levels and anyway high cholesterol levels are now thought to be a good thing, especially as you get older.

Don't forget the protein :)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

https://www.healthline.com/health/diabetes/eggs

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm sure I read on diet doctor 30 eggs a day but no more lol.

Reactions: Prem51

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

What a bizarre article.

At the top it states:

Eggs are a versatile food and a great source of protein.

The American Diabetes Association considers eggs an excellent choice for people with diabetes. That’s primarily because one large egg contains about half a gram of carbohydrates, so it’s thought that they aren’t going to raise your blood sugar.

Eggs are high in cholesterol, though. One large egg contains nearly 200 mg of cholesterol, but whether or not this negatively affects the body is debatable.

Monitoring your cholesterol is important if you have diabetes because diabetes is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. High levels of cholesterol in the bloodstream also raise the risk of developing cardiovascular disease. But dietary intake of cholesterol doesn’t have as profound an effect on blood levels as was once thought. So, it’s important for anyone with diabetes to be aware of and minimize other heart disease risks.

Which basically says that there is no current evidence that dietary cholesterol is in any way harmful, and eggs are fine.

The rest of the article then goes completely back on this and says that diabetics shouldn't eat dietary cholesterol.

It is almost as if an old style article on how bad eggs are for you had a header added admitting that there is no evidence that they are bad but then leaving the rest of the article unchanged.

So IMHO not a sensibly argued article highlighting the risks of eating eggs.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’ve read conflicting information about how many eggs a week are safe for diabetics. Does anyone know what it should be please? I am type 2 and not on any meds.

Thanks! :)
I have about 3 a day, might go up to 5 or so if they're in salads or somesuch, besides my scrambled or sunny side ups... Eggs are friendly for your bloodsugar. Have as many as you like!

Reactions: Pasha

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Eggs: love 'em, never have enough.
Boiled, fried, scrambled, poached, omelettes and crustless flan / quiches.
:)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I normally have 3 eggs a day, sometimes 4. They are stacked full of essential vitamins and antioxidants. A super, super health food.

Our livers make our body cholesterol as and when it is needed. Any dietary cholesterol from foods such as eggs tells our liver it doesn't need to make as much, so all in all, we end up with the same amount whether we eat it or not.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22037012

Reactions: LittleGreyCat