Eggs

stevied

I hope not.I love them.As far as I know they are very low in carbs.I eat them in every way possible. 8)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Chickens eggs - no problem - very good for diabetics as very low in carbohydrate.
Cadbury's, Kinder, Easter, etc eggs - big problem - to be avoided at all costs!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Nothing wrong with fried eggs. Cholesterol is not the diabetic's enemy - carbohydrate is. Carbohydrate actually produces more LDL (the "bad" cholesterol) than protein or fat does.

The whole idea that if you eat fat you will get fat is an urban myth.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Dennis said:
Chickens eggs - no problem - very good for diabetics as very low in carbohydrate.
Cadbury's, Kinder, Easter, etc eggs - big problem - to be avoided at all costs!

You just had to mention chocolate eggs!!!I'm still getting over Easter! :roll:

stevied

whitemare said:
Surely not fried, stevied ?

Watch out for the cholesterol! :wink:

Oh Yes :D Lightly fried in a dab of V.olive oil.Last chol.result was 4.6. 8) Thank god for cinnamon.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
i am reliably informed (from yesterdays Daily Mail :lol: )
eggs are relatively high in cholesterol and eating even one a day could raise the risk
of heart desease and strokes particularly in middle age men and diabetics.

although it does go on to say its only overweight inactive people who really need to worry.

Rick

I can't quite believe all this recent talk about fats and cholestrol and everything else not being the diabetics enemy only carbohydrate. When we are diagnosed as diabetic does that suddenly render us immune from all other health problems that the rest of the population suffers from. Yes, obviously, keeping blood sugar low is of utmost importance but not if that is at the expense of other health issues. Yes, I know, there's a general feeling on this site that you can eat what you want without any complications but are you trying to tell me that medical advice is so out of whack that all research about fats, saturates and so on is just meaningless. Everyone is entitled to believe whatever research they want but I cannot subscribe to this zero carb massive fat and protein diet; please be careful with your overall health and do not blindly go into just having a low hba1c result as that indicator.

Silvercat

I am sorry but I just have to reply here and ask why you have to appear so aggresive Rick. You obviously have your own beliefs. Why cant other people have theirs? People have to use what works for them. It's their choice.
A few years ago I did the Atkins diet before I knew I was diabetic and keeping to low carbs certainly improved my health all round.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
if the doctors and scientists released research saying "eat a healthy balanced diet and you'll
be fine" could you really see it making the headlines?
the mass media doesn't do "delicate balance" it's only interested in extremes.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
timo2 said:
eggs are relatively high in cholesterol and eating even one a day could raise the risk
of heart desease and strokes particularly in middle age men and diabetics.

although it does go on to say its only overweight inactive people who really need to worry.

And of course diabetes is something ONLY fat lazy people get (grrrrrrrr) we just need to skip dessert and we'll be cured. Not that that viewpoint winds me up, or anything LOL

whitemare

Type of diabetes
LADA
Of course, ostrich eggs should be avoided.
Can't get them into a pan.

By the way, you can 'fry' eggs on an unoiled griddle. Yum.

If cholesterol is so not a problem, why do I get mine measured and commented on? I know I make HDL, but keeping LDL low ought to be a target. I have enough problems without gumming up my arteries as well.

And fats are brimming with calories, and as I am targetting weight loss, I will minimise their appearance on my dinner plate.

Who needs an oil slick on a plate anyway?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
I like eggs too,but everything in moderation!!I have maybe a couple in a week,sometimes not depending on what I feel like eating.I watch the fats as well as I am overweight and trying to lose it.Can't take a lot of fat anyway as have no gall bladder therefore too much fats have a nasty effect on my gut.As Rick said just because your diabetic doesn't mean you have to ignore other things.What good is being a 'healthy' diabetic with clapped out arteries!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
timo2 said:

Good one Timo! But even the Daily Mail had to admit that the research was completely flawed because it was uncontrolled, the researchers had no idea of what else the subjects had been eating, and no idea of what cholesterol levels were and heart condition was in the subjects before the research started!

whitemare

Type of diabetes
LADA
All this pseudoscientific b******t is beginning to get on my thangas.

I can recall some 'research' being done on table salt in the eighties by some Americans or other.
They reported an LD50 of over 90% on day old chicks.

Yes, they had been giving the chicks salt.

AT HALF THEIR BODY WEIGHT DAILY!

that's not science, that's abuse. Do these 'scientists' get a commonsenseectomy somewhere?

:x

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No-one's asking you to go zero carb, Rick, relax!

Lot's of people would benefit from actually taking a look at the evidence implicating dietary fat, particularly saturated fat, in its effect on obesity, hypertension, heart disease and diabetes. If you can find it, that is.

It's odd how it can be seen as heresy to question such an established dietary relationship. But question it we should, because you'd be surprised what you'll find.

Oh, incidentally, I have eggs every day.

All the best,

fergus

Rick

I'm not trying to start a war here; I'd like silvercat to reread my posting that clearly indicated that I'm perfectly happy for people to follow whatever dietary plan they feel like, simply, that I don't agree with eating things like eggs everyday. We could be here forever dragging up studies that proved this and that but I just feel that the forum topics of late have verged like a subsiding cliff-face towards carbohydrate bashing and talking about low hba1c levels as the most overriding and important factor beyond anything else. I was trying to stick up for others to be honest; I don't care about what's said about me, I stuff my face with carbs (love takeout Dominoes) but I burn it off with hours of exercise and my hba results are well below recommended levels so I'm smiling :D (see?). As I understand it, if I'm taking the correct amount of insulin to cover my carbs then there won't be any left to convert anything into fat (body fat below 10%). However, plenty of people are not so lucky and convincing those overweight to simply eat fat and be merry (I'm being a little too simplistic I know) is dangerous. It's a fact that carbs are necessary for exercise (all exercise is undertaken initially in an anaerobic fashion and that requires some form of simple carbs to be used by the body and carbs are required to sustain physical activity beyond that too; seeing as we should all be doing some form of exercise I feel that surely some carbs should be eaten). Just to reiterate: each to their own, my comments are based on trying to keep a balanced view and not to decry anyone else's opinions. That said, you low carb eaters are all nuts :lol:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Mmmmm.nuts!! What Rick says is good common sense.His lifestyle of exercise etc works for him.Someone else stuffing themselves with Domino's(that sound quite painful BTW :D )but being a couch potato would soon find themselves in trouble.To each his own.We all have to find what works for us.I am in awe of the likes of Dennis and Fergus who have so much research knowledge about diabetes and foods( quick chorus of 'I am not worthy'! :lol: )I have found what works for me and I am always learning more,principally from this forum.I'd also like to bet that everyone has a 'thing' that they worry about and sometimes this worry can sidetrack you from the bigger picture.Keep an open mind,people.There is so much information out there ,especially now we have the internet, that it is hard to take it all in and some of it is misleading.Once you find what works for you ,stick with it,but in order to find what works for you you need the knowledge in the first place!!Read with an open mind,take the bits that you can use,and discard the rest.

OK enough rambling.