SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi,
Anyone got a clue if it'd be possible to make elderflower cordial without sugar? Thanks

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can buy sugar free elderflower cordial from Sainsbury's (I found to my delight) sadly it doesnt taste the same as Chardonnay for which I was trying to replace by buying it.

It's a concentrate in an aluminium bottle.

Reactions: hankjam

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I suppose you can, but I think it wouldn't keep very well, as the sugar is a preservative. If you have enough room in your freezer, though, and use what's thawed in a couple of days, I don't see why not :)

D

Deleted member 308541

I remember making elderberry wine with one of my employers in the UK in the early 1960's.

It definitely had a kick to it, I had quite a few headaches with his home brew wine.

Elton sung about it as well.

Reactions: SueJB
S

Sani Thomas

Hi,
Anyone got a clue if it'd be possible to make elderflower cordial without sugar? Thanks
My mom makes something she jokingly calls dry buz (buz being the name of elderflower back home). Although the recipe contains sugar, I don't see why it can't be made without.
Collect and dry (naturally) elderflower blooms. In 5 l. Water soak several dried flowers for 24 hours (or more). Grate over lemon peel. Mix with sugar or in this case sweetener and you are done.
Hope it helps