Elliptical Trainer or Sport

AhmedB

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just got diagnose with pre-diabetes and alarmingly need to reduce my weight and get in shape. However I can't seem to decide which is ideal for me. I am currently using an elliptical trainer at home for a period of 30 minutes daily and quickly get out of breath but my wife suggest I should try a new sport like football or badminton.

Any ideas which is more effective?

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Whatever you do, just make sure you enjoy it - that way you are more likely to stick with it and gain the benefits.

Another thing you should consider however is to look at what you are eating. Exercise is great, but you'll never out-exercise a carb loaded diet.

For further help around exercise, have a look here: http://www.teambloodglucose.com/TeamBG/Kit_bag_Exercise.html

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your elliptical trainer is a good thing to have because when you have stuff at home to exercise with it is harder to make those excuses on days you are feeling lazy and it's always possible to exercise, no matter the weather. I have an exercise bike myself. But when I start to feel like a hamster on a wheel, I go out walking or do something outside the home.

For me, the most effective form of exercise has always been martial arts. But I can't do that right now for various reasons. A lot of people here do running or weights or both. If you have a garden, gardening is effective, believe it or not. There are loads of ways. And I agree with Bebo, enjoyment is usually key to keeping it up. Though once you get fitter, you tend to be more willing to do the boring hamster-on-a-wheel stuff just to stay that way.