Type 2 Embarrassing Question

AlbertoLaidlaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I have been on a low carb diet now since November and doing well weight dropped a lot and blood sugars lower also. The problem that I am having is constipation I know its because of the high protein intake. I do eat mountains of veg and salad, and drink loads but it still leaves me struggling, pre diet change I was extremely regular. I also exercise often, I am taking Senna to make this happen but still have difficulty. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you having enough fat? I found that having extra fat as well as the veggies and water really helped.

Reactions: 2 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I got this problem when I first started low carbing. I took the advice of others on this forum and got some psyllium husk (from eBay). Its weird stuff, you take it in water and then drink lots more water. You can also use it in cooking! It really works. I have just found out on another thread that it is available in capsules.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find high fat is quite the reverse!
lol yes I did at first too. Then I found out that for me it was because I was having most of my fat as a high fat protein food, eg cheese. When I started adding just fat but no extra protein eg butter, olive oil and cream then the problem went away ....quickly lol. I won't be too graphic at this early hour. ;) :)

Reactions: 3 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
The commercial brand of psyllium husk that Chook mentioned above is Metamucil(I only found out its contents when chook raised it). While I'm in Australia I see that it is manufactured in the US so may be available everywhere

AlbertoLaidlaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Thanks for this the psyllium sounds interesting I will track some down.. I eat loads of good fats advocado, olive oil I read somewhere that cheese is an issue as I seem to eat regular amounts of cheese.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I must admit, I thought it was the eggs (as they have that reputation.

Are you taking an iron supplement as they often have that affect.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know that Metformin can cause constipation it if you are taking that. I know it did with my husband until his system got used to it then he was back to normal

AlbertoLaidlaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I am on Metformin 2 x 850 but was ok pre reducing the carbs to less than 100 gms per day. Ideally would like to have less of them but I find that almost impossible.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that eating plenty of fibrous veggies, nuts, and oils/fats, and drinking enough fluid work well for me. I'm eating less than 40-50g carbs a day.

I did have a bit of constipation when I first started low carbing, but after a couple of weeks my body got used to its new diet and was fine.

Robbity

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
lol yes I did at first too. Then I found out that for me it was because I was having most of my fat as a high fat protein food, eg cheese. When I started adding just fat but no extra protein eg butter, olive oil and cream then the problem went away ....quickly lol. I won't be too graphic at this early hour. ;) :)
What about beef lard or dripping as it used to be called ,dripping sandwiches ?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yep that's fine for me too. (My mum was brought up on dripping sandwiches. )
I used to LOVE dripping. I wonder what it would be like on a Lidl protein roll????

Reactions: 6 people