Emergency Insulin Advice??

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi all!

Am in Cambridge for work, and am normally based in London. I went to Boots but unfortunately my go has to fax over a prescription before I can get it here. I emailed them ( couldn't do it over the phone needed written permission) to get it done but am concerned about my levemir as I only have enough to last tomorrow. Does anyone have any suggestions where to go to get a cartridge to wait for this prescription to come through? the insulin may have arrived but wanted to see what my options are. I do carry a spare lantus pen as it's my old long acting, by not sure what switching long acting for a short period would do / whether it's a really stupid idea

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You'll be fine, I changed insulin from levimere to lantus whilst pregnant. I went to get a prescription filled after and was given levimere and not lantus. I checked with the diabetes team at the hospital where my son and I were and was told it would be ok.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Even if it's only for a week or two? I always thought it should be ok but wasn't sure...

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not sure about changing insulins as I've used neither of those. Could you get advice from your DSN about that?

In general, I always try to keep spare insulin to cover any delay in prescriptions and take my own while I'm away. I don't know about your surgery, but mine lets me add a note to my prescription eg if I needed a double prescription because I would be away when my next one was due.

I know that's no help now, but it may help in future.

Hope you get it sorted!

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Disorganisation before Christmas to blame as I couldn't get it at home before going away! DSN helpline at the hospital is busy so I guess I'll just keep trying.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Christmas is annoying for prescriptions, for sure! I wish they just let us order three months worth in November to,save any hassle.

Keep trying at the hospital. Good luck!

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Spoke to a DSN and she said I was fine to switch back to lantus for the days until the prescription came through and discussed dosing. Got to do lots of tests as I used to give lantus daily but she suggested to keep it as close to the levemir that I split the dose

Reactions: azure

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Any chemist in england is entitled to make an emergency supply if they think you need it - only downside is its not nhs you woukd have to pay the cost of the vial. If your script doesnt arrive tell the pharmacist you want an emergency supply. They may have to call yr gp to get confirmation you are on it .

Reactions: jonbvn

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
And for those of us that aren't perfect.....

Boots should be able to issue you an emergency prescription as said, or possibly your surgery can electronically issue a prescription for collection at your local pharmacy? Having said that, a fax is instant as well, so it's possible it will be waiting for you tomorrow anyway.

Reactions: isjoberg and SRO