Type 1 EMERGENCY VERY URGENT!!!

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
24 hours

Long Acting Insulins. Though often thought of as being 24 hour insulins, Lantus and Levemir are actually 18 to 26 hour insulins. At least a third of all users do not get a full 24 hours of action from these insulins.
True but given that I injected into a blood stream apparently.. it would serve less wouldn't it?

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you read the yet link, it is helpful ?
How are you feeling now, and your BS reading ?
I'm afraid that I will be hyper all night long and I'm not going to do any correction dose. I did read the link thank you. My BG seems to be very high since I feel thirsty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'm afraid that I will be hyper all night long and I'm not going to do any correction dose. I did read the link thank you. My BG seems to be very high since I feel thirsty

The best thing would be to phone a medical centre/hospital or pharmacy to get help, also keep testing. I hope everything will be okay.

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The best thing would be to phone a medical centre/hospital or pharmacy to get help, also keep testing. I hope everything will be okay.
I seem to be okay for now I will test one last time before bed.. This raises a big question whether aspiration is important or not

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@alphabeta , lantus is basically a fast acting insulin which has had some stuff done to it to make it turn into a sort of jelly which then breaks down slowly over 18 to 24 hours.

You've likely not injected into a vein - you'd be on the floor in a few minutes - but once in a while, people do seem to inject near capillaries etc, the shot gets into the bloodstream and that jelly stuff doesn't happen and it just acts like fast acting.

So, I'd be inclined to view it in the same way as a bolus overdose, because lantus is fast acting if it's found its way into stream instead of jellifying, and if you've managed to get yourself past that initial drop, I reckon you'll be fine.

But it's an uncertain and unusual situation, so definitely agree with the other posters - call yr emergency services.

Reactions: mountaintom

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@alphabeta , lantus is basically a fast acting insulin which has had some stuff done to it to make it turn into a sort of jelly which then breaks down slowly over 18 to 24 hours.

You've likely not injected into a vein - you'd be on the floor in a few minutes - but once in a while, people do seem to inject near capillaries etc, the shot gets into the bloodstream and that jelly stuff doesn't happen and it just acts like fast acting.

So, I'd be inclined to view it in the same way as a bolus overdose, because lantus is fast acting if it's found its way into stream instead of jellifying, and if you've managed to get yourself past that initial drop, I reckon you'll be fine.

But it's an uncertain and unusual situation, so definitely agree with the other posters - call yr emergency services.
I agree I saw some blood after I removed the needle. UPDATE: Sugar 17.0

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
15 minutes after basal injection it dropped from 16 to 9.9 then kept dropping :( it had been 3 hours since previous bolus

Hi @alphabeta ,

I hope your all good now.?

In addition to the great support you had last night.
It is possible your bolus may have also dropped you? (Depending on what was eaten & how it digested.) Bolus can carry on working for nearly 5 hours..
I have been caught out in the 4th hour myself.

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @alphabeta ,

I hope your all good now.?

In addition to the great support you had last night.
It is possible your bolus may have also dropped you? (Depending on what was eaten & how it digested.) Bolus can carry on working for nearly 5 hours..
I have been caught out in the 4th hour myself.
Hello, sorry for the late reply,
I saw blood coming out after I removed the pen which poses a question regarding the safety of the pen and the importance of aspiration, a technique that I practiced for nearly 8 years before switching to pens. Regardless, I took my basal after 3 hours from bolus. I think it didn't make that because I eat a lot of carbs on dinner.

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, how were you during the night and have things improved today ?
Take care
Hello and again sorry for the late reply;
I woke up 19.9 which was very expected I took only 1 unit of correction dose before I slept. I was very tired and generally felt sad regarding the fact that the same drug that keeps me alive can kill me. I am much better and I took it all rationally. I will only use a syringe from now on to inject Lantus because I can do aspiration and make sure that the needle didn't catch a blood stream.
Thank you so very much.