Emotional Management of Diabetes

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a recently diagnosed T2 diabetic and with my limited experience of two months with the disease, I have come to believe that managing my diabetes has more to do with my mind, my emotions and my decisions, than it has to do with my pancreas and what it can or can not do.

Being diagnosed with a serious long term helth condition like diabetes is like being hit by an emotional sledgehammer and at first I was stanned by the blow, drifting from doctor to doctor listening and following passively and unquestioningly whatever I was advised to do.

At the same time, I was feeling both anxiety and uncertainty about my future ,as well as a strong feeling of guilt and failure as I fealt that I had brought this on myself through inappropriate diet and insufficient exercise. I have since come to realize that such feelings of guilt are both unjustified and counterproductive. My diet and level of physical fitness was not that different from that of the majority of the population in "delveloped" society, but I got diabetes while most of the rest did not. Without absolving myself completely, surely developng T2 diabetes must have more to do with picking some genetic short straw than just diet and fitness.

Developing diabetes means that controlling my glucose levels, a function previously carried out by my body automatically, is now largely dependent on my own choices and actions. Although empowering, this new level of authority/responsibility may appear overwhelming initially. I determined that the way to cope with this, as well as with my feelings of uncertainty and anxiety, was to learn as much about the disease as I could and in this I was helped by both a close friend who is a long time T2 herself, as well as internet sites like this one.

Managing diabetes is about gaining control and making informed choices about your lifestyle. A vital prerequisite to making progressively improved choices is feedback on the outcome of the choices just made, hence why I decided that self monitoring of my glucose level was a necessity despite initial medical advise to the contrary and despite the fact that I have to bear the complete cost of testing myself.

With hindsight, I would say that I was fairly self obsessed in the last two months, possibly to the detriment of my family, however I believe I needed to concentrate on handling this condition and regaining a sence of control. Having to abandon long term habits and learning new ones was never easy. Although ultimately, we are ourselves responsible for managing our bodies and our condition, this becomes a lot easier if those close to us are supportive. I am extreemly greatful to my wife, parents and other close family for their understanding and support.

My diabetes is now under control and I am begining to feel a lot more relaxed and positive about the future.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi mumnpops

You can read more about me and my diabetes experience if you follow this link

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10849

To answer your question I have been eating what I would call a healthy balanced diet based on the nutrition pyramid recommendations, including a lot of raw and unprocessed food. I have not been low carbing as I eat about 200g of carbs a day on average, but these are fruit and grains, not sugar and sweets Of course I have limited portion sizes compared to what I used to eat and I now have a small breakfast (a cheese sandwitch and a glass of milk) as well as fruit for snacks between meals, which I never used to do before.

This diet seems to have worked for me so I will stick with it for now, although it is interesting to read about low carbing experiences of others on the forum.

Regards

Pavlos

hanrahanj1

Was diagnosed with Type 2 in Aug. At first i was bewildered and frightened. When i got my head round it i started testing mu blood sugar and watching my diet.

These last two weeks i do not know why I really resent having to test my blood sugar in fact I have not done it for the past three days. I find it so unpleasant and really resent it. I tell myhusband though that i have just to appease him.

Even though i have lost weight i am fed up with watching my colleagues tuck into food i used to enjoy and cannot now. I hate it. I am very low in mood and really angry and irritable.

mother14

Reassuring to know that what I'm feeling right now seems normal, I think I have gone from fear to panic to total confusion, I now feel rather horrified at my old eating habits as I begin to get the measure of the changes needed, but being ill isn't an option I want. Think it's hard at first as you learn exactly what diabetes means and knowing it's a life long condition frightened the living daylights out of me, but make the changes I will, and just feel so appreciative that you all are here to talk to, having asked some questions, done lots of reading, whilst I am feeling overwhelmed and confused by my dietary undoings as well as new doings, with the good advice I have had so far, have taken a deep breath and one step back, feeling a bit calmer and I assume the fear will recede as I start to manage myself better.My family are being great, but this has made me really miss my mum again, as we always shared everything and put the world to rights together, oh dear, mustn't ramble or I will be miserable, thanks for listening.

dragongirl

It's mostly accepted these days that trauma is a subjective experience – what may affect one person may not affect another in the same way. But it usually involves a perceived threat to life (the DN usually says we'll lose limbs one at a time till our pancreas packs in and we go blind and fall in a sewer, for instance!), a shattering of our sense of security (life is no longer the same as it was – the baked beans are off-limits), feeling helpless (the DN lists a huge number of professionals, such as dieticians, podiatrists, eye-photographers and the like, who will do things to us on certain dates planned out like a school timetable), and alone and vulnerable in a dangerous world (which we are, until we find this forum!).

I guess the day we get our diagnosis, that's pretty much how we feel! It's traumatic. It takes months to gather up our usual resilience and some days it just feels too hard.

Hanrahanj – I'm really sorry it's so bad for you at the moment. I think it's sometimes worse for the type 2/diet-only brigade initially, because there is nothing to fall back on except our will power. No tablets to fight a few carb-binges, no insulin to measure out against cereal and toast. No one can be iron-strong all the time (and I don't mean by this that other 'types' have it easy). Feel angry, feel resentful, and then see if you can reframe it as "at least I can do something about it" – which you can. But I sympathise about the blood tests – I've often wondered how many people like getting up and slicing into their finger for fun every morning. It's bizarre. But it pays off eventually as we take back control. I hope you feel better soon. Come on here and moan and find some help as often as you like. We're all in the same boat.

DG

wallycorker

Pavlos - you have done great and a lot of the things that you describe are very similar to my experience. However, there is a major difference between the two of us - it took me nine years to understand my situation - you seem to have done it in a few months. It sounds as though you were lucky to have a knowledgeable friend to put you on the right track also you reached this forum much more quicky than me.

After having been told so often by medical people that I was at risk of early death firstly because of having suffered cancer but then also through being overweight, having high blood pressure and cholesterol etc, I too now feel very confident about the future. In fact, I think that I might reach 100 - I shall be doing my best and I know that my kids are getting worried that they'll have to look after me in later life. :wink:

You have a very powerful message - I hope that you will stick around and keep telling your story to others.

Best wishes - John

Best wishes - John

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Hanrahanj1

I am very sorry you are having difficulties at this time.

I can fully understand how having unwelcome lifestyle changes forced uppon you by the diabetes, may cause you to feel anger or even resentment of the others around you, who can go on with their lives doing the things that you used to be able to do and seemingly not suffer any consequences for it.

I can also understand how it is a normal human reaction to try to get something to go away just by ignoring it. I did just that for years with my cholesterol condition!

Unfortunately, diabetes will not go away if you ignore it, it will only became uncontrolled, increasing your risk of serious long-term health complications.

But I think you know all this already, otherwise you would not have posted your message on this forum.

Which by the way I believe was absolutely the right thing to do. I am sure that people here much better qualified than I am will be able to offer you support and advice.

I took the liberty of reading some of your other posts to find some more about you and I believe that you have plenty to feel proud and positive about, in how you dealt with your treatment by the NHS, how you have taken the initiative to start self testing and how you have already managed to lose some weight.

Please remind yourself of these and give yourself the occasional pad on the back. Remember also that miracles do not happen overnight and give yourself time.

My own personal way of dealing with matters is to try to put a positive angle on things. For instance, I do not consider any item of food as prohibited, rather I consider it to be available to me on rare occasions; the choice of when these occasions will be being up to me. I then find it easier to postpone the time when I will actually have this "forbiden" treat.

Rather than looking at my diet as restricted I coose to look at it as healthy, I am eating what others should be eating as well. The other are the ones in the "wrong" who are eating the wrong things. this allows me to feel better about my situation.

Rather than concentrating on what I can not eat, I choose to concentrate on what I can. There is plenty of delicious food out there which is healthy and will not mees your BG. Please experiment .... but remeber to test afterwards.

Distract yourself. Food is not the only pleasure in life.

Try and limit the situations which put you in temptation of falling astray. At lunchtimes, go for a walk in the park or round the local shops with a friend rather than to the pub or restaurant. this way you will be getting some exercise as well.

I find that all of the above help me but we are all different and so you will need to find what works for you, but remember that you are not alone so feel free to reach out for help and advice whether through the forum or your family, which I understands includes other individuals with diabetes
experience. Also please consider whether your husband would prefer to be included in what you are going through.

Please do not give up. Things will get better.

Regards

Pavlos