Empagliflozin

RhonaB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I saw my diabetic consultant last week and as my Hba1c had only dropped to 87 from 95 in March (had been 145 on diagnosis in January!) he added Empagliflozin to my Metformin. My blood sugars never got below 10 and had started creeping up again the be in the mid-teens for the last month or so, so wasn't surprised.
Anyway, I just started taking it on on Friday, so far so good!!!

My question is about the best time to take it. I've taken it in the morning and find that I don't really start peeing for a good few hours despite drinking like a fish. I also find that I'm up a lot during the night peeing which isn't normal for me at all. Not sure if this is empag related or not? Would I be better off taking the pill at night? But then I'm not drinking at all ...
Any advice is very welcome

CakeAddiction

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve been taking it for just over a week. I take it first thing in the morning (5:30 weekdays, 7:30 weekends) and start peeing around 8/9am. I’ve had no other side effects yet apart from the need to drink like a fish although I have lost 5lbs in the week!

CakeAddiction

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m not up through the night at the moment but I’m trying not to drink an hour before bed. Then drinking a bottle of water with my tablet as soon as I get up.

Paul2866

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive been on empag for 18 months an all i can say is i drink like a fish an pee like a race horse i work permant nights so take my meds at 12ish in afternoon only thing is when you got to go you go lol

CakeAddiction

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive been on empag for 18 months an all i can say is i drink like a fish an pee like a race horse i work permant nights so take my meds at 12ish in afternoon only thing is when you got to go you go lol

Paul, if you don’t mind me asking... have you lost weight and if so how much? Please don’t feel the need to answer if you don’t want. I’m just curious. My Dr says I should lose quite a lot but have no idea how much a lot is!!

Paul2866

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Paul, if you don’t mind me asking... have you lost weight and if so how much? Please don’t feel the need to answer if you don’t want. I’m just curious. My Dr says I should lose quite a lot but have no idea how much a lot is!!
Hi yes ive lost about 8kg gone from 110 kg to 102 +or - a few pounds i hate taking the meds but at the mo they are working

CakeAddiction

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi yes ive lost about 8kg gone from 110 kg to 102 +or - a few pounds i hate taking the meds but at the mo they are working

Awesome! I’m not great at taking my meds. Do not get on with metformin at all, hence the change. So far ... no side effects apart from the peeing!