1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

employment and support

Discussion in 'Benefits' started by derryginnylad, Nov 24, 2016.

1. derryginnylad

derryginnylad Type 1 · Newbie

I have many complecations with my diabeties and have been told by two doctors that I cannot work I have been on employment and support allowance but have been informed that my payments will cease from 28th nov that leaves me with 220 a mth dla to live on has anyone else been hit with this problem

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Hi and welcome to the forum @derryginnylad

I'll 'bump' your post up the forum in the hope that someone will reply to your thread and help.

3. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It sounds as if you are on contribution based ESA if this is the case then ask for the forms to change over to IR (income related) I'm assuming this is the case and you haven't failed an assessment recently.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

From memory gov.uk do this transition for you. They work out your new income related esa payment for thereafter. No need to re-apply.
    However if you've been unsuccessful in a new medical/assessment then your payments may stop. Call esa for clarification. As they will encourage you to apply for jsa in the intrim of an appeal, if need be. I hope this helps!

5. eldergarth

eldergarth Type 2 · Well-Known Member

With ESA payments you have to get a doctors note to confirm your non fitness for work or they stop your payments

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That only applies whilst in the assessment phase. once in wrag or support group you do not need to supply a fit not.
    You have to fill in a form for IR otherwise the benefit is stopped.

• Useful Useful x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook