End of Honeymoon?

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,
I seem to not be able to handle food anymore on my basal only. It seems very sudden to me. So I was diagnosed 2 monthd ago and was on basal only and was doing alright, stayed well below 200 /11 and most of the time cruised around 100/5.5 mg/dl. Even had some low issues when cycling etc.
This week I felt a bit empty and I've been reading morr about exercise and how carbs are kinda needed by the muscles to really recover well, so I thought I'd try eat a bit of carbs.
The last two days (after eating half a sweet potato...ok big mistake) I shot way high, to about 245 /13.6 and fell right down as I went walking but even 2h after during exercise I kept bouncing up and down whenever we had a slight rest. I figured ok, made a mistake with the sweet potato and I decided to take a bit of lantus in the evening too, as I heard people often split their doses anyway. Over night was good and woke up with good levels.
That was yesterday but now even today I ate a low carb lunch again to not repeat yesterday and still went to 200/11 and it took quite a while to drop down. I only went for a slow walk in the rain though.
I'm LADA and I'm thinking I may need to go onto bolus now - I mean I understand something like a sweet potato was too much carbs (before I ate fairly low carbs but wanted to see if I can be sure glucose stores in muscles are filled up over the weekend), but if I now even react to low carb meals that way and take a while to come down.....I'm guessing it's time and my honeymoon is coming to an end already?
I usually exercise every evening but especially at the weekend I need some rest time too, I don't want to keep moving all the time, it's exhausting. And if I exercise, I drop very quickly so I'm not sure increasing basal is the right thing.
On the other hand, if I had the right basal amount, I wouldn't even spike so high, right?
For now I think i will add a small evening dose of Lantus to help with dinner and over night if I'm not planning to work out but it may take a while to get an appointment at the doctors.
Any help or experiences from other LADA would be appreciated.

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,
I seem to not be able to handle food anymore on my basal only. It seems very sudden to me. So I was diagnosed 2 monthd ago and was on basal only and was doing alright, stayed well below 200 /11 and most of the time cruised around 100/5.5 mg/dl. Even had some low issues when cycling etc.
This week I felt a bit empty and I've been reading morr about exercise and how carbs are kinda needed by the muscles to really recover well, so I thought I'd try eat a bit of carbs.
The last two days (after eating half a sweet potato...ok big mistake) I shot way high, to about 245 /13.6 and fell right down as I went walking but even 2h after during exercise I kept bouncing up and down whenever we had a slight rest. I figured ok, made a mistake with the sweet potato and I decided to take a bit of lantus in the evening too, as I heard people often split their doses anyway. Over night was good and woke up with good levels.
That was yesterday but now even today I ate a low carb lunch again to not repeat yesterday and still went to 200/11 and it took quite a while to drop down. I only went for a slow walk in the rain though.
I'm LADA and I'm thinking I may need to go onto bolus now - I mean I understand something like a sweet potato was too much carbs (before I ate fairly low carbs but wanted to see if I can be sure glucose stores in muscles are filled up over the weekend), but if I now even react to low carb meals that way and take a while to come down.....I'm guessing it's time and my honeymoon is coming to an end already?
I usually exercise every evening but especially at the weekend I need some rest time too, I don't want to keep moving all the time, it's exhausting. And if I exercise, I drop very quickly so I'm not sure increasing basal is the right thing.
On the other hand, if I had the right basal amount, I wouldn't even spike so high, right?
For now I think i will add a small evening dose of Lantus to help with dinner and over night if I'm not planning to work out but it may take a while to get an appointment at the doctors.
Any help or experiences from other LADA would be appreciated.
Hi - am not sure how helpful I can be but will share my honeymoon experience incase anything is useful. I started on basal and bolus low doses and high carbs during diagnosis and hospital stay. After roughly 2 months I was on basal only and the dosage was reduced until 0.5 units gave me several hypos in a day. This is when I started low carb. I had 2 weeks of stable bg then it started to rise after eating pasta - I knew so little then (still learning). Now I am only on bolus and give a small dose when eating. I need to increase the amount if I eat more carbs (I need a little bit of starchy carb to keep my weight up). I can only eat half a medium baked potato, 2 level tablespoons of brown rice, 1 slice of toast or my bg goes 14-19. Even eating these amounts can take me from 12-14. My diabetic nurse and the dietician are helping me through this. I am keeping a food diary and monitoring bg. I find it so useful knowing what meals keep my bg stable. I mostly eat meat, veg, eggs and dairy free cheese, milk, yoghurt,seeds, roasted nuts. Going on the forum and also speaking to the diabetic team in my local clinic have been necessary. Being on honeymoon for me means a carefully controlled diet and 3 injections a day. Good luck to you. Wish you well on your journey.

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - am not sure how helpful I can be but will share my honeymoon experience incase anything is useful. ....

Thank you, this was very useful indeed. It seems to change quickly. I found I'm dropping quickly during exercise so I'm hesitant to up basal too high but seem to need it for meals. I definitely don't need to worry about keeping weight but I want enough carbs to have full energy to train.

Also, I tend to cook 2-4 meals worth at once just chopping different vegetables together...I'm really worried how I'd carb count that....

So for you, going high to 11 or 12 briefly is normal despite insulin? So if I'm up to that level briefly but come down fast, it is ok?
Or if I had the right insulin to carb balance, I wouldn't spike to begin with?

Thank you so much for your help.

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, this was very useful indeed. It seems to change quickly. I found I'm dropping quickly during exercise so I'm hesitant to up basal too high but seem to need it for meals. I definitely don't need to worry about keeping weight but I want enough carbs to have full energy to train.

Also, I tend to cook 2-4 meals worth at once just chopping different vegetables together...I'm really worried how I'd carb count that....

So for you, going high to 11 or 12 briefly is normal despite insulin? So if I'm up to that level briefly but come down fast, it is ok?
Or if I had the right insulin to carb balance, I wouldn't spike to begin with?

Thank you so much for your help.
Hi - when I eat no starchy carbs my bg is 5-7 and I give 1.5 Fiasp only no basal. Haven't sussed out exercise v amounts of carbs v insulin dosage yet. I would say that needs advice from your diabetic team. Good luck. You will get there!

Reactions: Sgathach

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Almost certainly you will, as a T1/LADA, eventually need Basal/Bolus so if your BS control is failing I would ask the GP to move you to Basal/Bolus and adjust the amounts following the usual approach as a T1.

Reactions: Sgathach