Enteric Metforman And Fasting

Canadian_cousin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Has anyone had any experience with the new coated metforman that is supposed to help with the stomach upset and diarrhoea that the regular drug causes for some people. The pharmacist advisor at my Health clinic was telling me about it. It's a one dose a day slow release enteric coated med. I know that some people fasting find they have difficulties taking Metforman because they need food to take it. It also messes up some people's blood sugars while fasting, but others in this forum seem to be unaffected. Any experience with this new type, or advice on how to use the drug generally while fasting? Thanks a lot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are we talking Glucophage SR here? Members of this site regularly recommend it to people who are having stomach problems with the standard Metformin since it is much kinder. Metformin should be taken with meals so I can see the problem if you are not eating meals but I don't know how you overcome this.

Canadian_cousin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are we talking Glucophage SR here? Members of this site regularly recommend it to people who are having stomach problems with the standard Metformin since it is much kinder. Metformin should be taken with meals so I can see the problem if you are not eating meals but I don't know how you overcome this.

Yes I believe so, although they didn't use the SR part when we talked about it. I never saw it written. The pharmacist advisor for our medical clinic said that you could take it without food because of the coating, but if you were doing 16 or 24s you could take it with any meal. Slow 24 hour release. I might not need to take it though.

The good news is that I met with the affiliate Doctor working with Fungs clinic today, and my various numbers are so lowered after three months of low-carb lifestyle at 50 carbs a day, and one month of intermittent fasting, that she didn't think I needed to try the Metformin. My numbers were so good, and my cholesterol was so below target that she cut my Crestor dose in half, and took me off Januvia altogether. The glucophage might be a strategy in the future if I can't get my BG down further, but she wants to wait until the six month mark to see what further changes happen. I hope to be able to get completely off statins after 15 years. And I get to try my first 4 day fast! LCHF has made such a huge difference for me, with my blood glucose basically five points down across the board, and so many other issues clearing up that I am over the moon today. Of course I still have a long way to go, and a lot of weight to lose, but I am proof that a senior citizen is not too old to change their metabolic syndrome.
I would like to thank you all for the education that I received on this forum. It made a huge difference to have that support on such a big learning curve. I urge others who are struggling on this path to keep on, and to accept the support and advice that can be found here. It made things so much easier.Thank you

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would like to thank you all for the education that I received on this forum. It made a huge difference to have that support on such a big learning curve. I urge others who are struggling on this path to keep on, and to accept the support and advice that can be found here. It made things so much easier.Thank you
I am pleased to hear your good news.

Canadian_cousin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I double checked my notes on my meeting with the pharmacist advisor, and he had written down the name Glumetza for me. I hope to see him for an appointment next week on another issue, and I will double check the name. With drugs it's always crazy because they have their original brand name, their generic name, and then highly complicated Chemical names. Hope this helps, maybe it will allow you to look it up and track it down. I have no idea about dyes though… It must be so difficult because almost all pills these days are colored. Hope this helps.

Canadian_cousin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you very much for the research!Forgive my ignorance, but what would be the difference to someone with low tolerance to normal Metforman and this timed release one? What would be the difference to a patient between an enteric coating and this timed release coating? Do you have an opinion about whether it could be taken without food while fasting? This is all new to me,and I value your opinion. Many thanks!

Canadian_cousin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you so much for your information. I have very low tolerance for things like ibuprofen, so I guess I have to look into this further. I'm hoping that a balanced diet will make new drugs unnecessary.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for your information. I have very low tolerance for things like ibuprofen, so I guess I have to look into this further. I'm hoping that a balanced diet will make new drugs unnecessary.
Hopefully your new diet and fasting means you can dump the metformin anyway..