Epic fail

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So my monitor came and so I tried to get a reading. After faffing about with the lancer and being unable to prick myself, I finally got some blood only to be told by monitor there was an error. This happened three times!

So can you share your BG testing tips please?!

Thanks

Useless Mcgee!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
what meter did you get, do you have a lancet pen?
does it show an error number?

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it is an ds code free one with lancet. I've mastered the pricking now (and hate it!!) but blood errors were first test strip error then blood error.

Maybe I'm putting blood on wrong??!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
You should just be offering up the globule of blood to the end of the strip so that it draws on by capillary action. Putting the strip into the meter before you do that turns the meter on automatically. There's a link on the main page of this website (before you come on to the forum) to a video of BG testing.

Have you used the check strip that comes with the meter to show that the meter is working as it should?

Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Well I'm pathetic. I plucked up courage to do fingers and palm but although I pricked, I got hardly any blood so now I'm crying like a baby because I can't do it. I hate myself for being so ridiculous :-(

Sorry for being so stupid

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.

You might find this video useful :)

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Thank you x

No problem pet, don't get yourself down too much about not being able to get testing right. You're not the first person who's struggled with it and you won't be the last. If you're not getting enough blood for a test when you prick your finger, it might be worth changing the depth setting on your finger pricker. If your device doesn't allow you to do this, you should be able to pick one up that can :) I know I also struggle to get any blood on the lower depth settings because I have callousy fingers from playing bass guitar.

These things are different for everyone, you'll get the hang of it eventually. Stick with it and you'll be fine :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I assume you're getting an E-2 error message then.
after I prick my finger, I grasp the base of my finger and milk towards the tip, this normally brings out a decent drop
you don't want to lance deep that your finger just bleeds

I found a codefree promo

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did it!!!!!

Thank you thank you thank you. I really do appreciate it. I was using the wrong top part on lancet so wasn't getting enough blood and I was putting test strip on too quickly before enough blood could travel up!

So my first random reading is 6.8. I will start diary and proper testing before food and two hours after.

I'll be on YouTube all night tonight watching people pricking themselves!!

Reactions: 5 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
there will be no stopping you now, there will be used test strips left in unusual places all over the house

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm gonna try and keep it all contained in the kitchen!

I'm wondering what to do with old lances as I'm not officially diabetic, I don't have a sharps box. What do you all do with yours?

X

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't forget to shut your eyes when you prick you finger (I do it every time and I'm not squeamish) LOL!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Thanks. Well I'm pathetic. I plucked up courage to do fingers and palm but although I pricked, I got hardly any blood so now I'm crying like a baby because I can't do it. I hate myself for being so ridiculous :-(

Sorry for being so stupid

I was exactly the same. You need to putt down and do something else for a while. I always tense before the prick. I have a code free too.
Put the strip in the meter till it beeps.
Set the number dial on the pen to 3.5
Make sure that your hands are warm
Prick the end of your little finger

Gently squeeze finger end and you should get some blood.
Now hold the meter with the strip in by the blood.
Good luck!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I'm gonna try and keep it all contained in the kitchen!

I'm wondering what to do with old lances as I'm not officially diabetic, I don't have a sharps box. What do you all do with yours?

X

Sling them. I am bad and use mine more than once but you're not supposed to!

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
New lancets usually come with a plastic tip you have to remove. I will put the tip of my used lancet onto the plastic tip of the new lancet and then dispose of it in the usual garbage. The lancet cannot then inadvertently prick anybody.

annelise

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Sling them. I am bad and use mine more than once but you're not supposed to!
I don't know what you are supposed to do, but I will reuse my lancets until I feel that they are no longer sharp enough! (I know that a lot of people do the same). That may be for months, I admit. Too much bother to change them for every prick.

However, when I test other persons, I will of course change the lancet.

annelise

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I read somewhere that the needles will end up in landfill somewhere where poor kids play. That worried me!