Equality Act 2010

zig

My understanding of this new act is that employers are no longer able to ask health related questions at the pre employment stage and are expected to make reasonable adjustments for any employee with health/disability requirements - hope this information and the Act will be helpful for someone on here

Zig

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yes, it stops Employers discrimating at interview on health grounds...however it doesn't mean that we don't have to declare the diabetes....I am led to believe that if we don't decalre our 'needs' (if we have any particular ones) at an interview that if a diabetic went to an Employment Tribunal over any issue concerning health matters, it could make the decision in favour of the Employers.

I personally have never been discrimated in any job whether managing huge warehouse distribution centres for the biggest supermarket or as a self employed gardener for my customers. I have always been honest and taken pride in declaring that I never had a day off sick due to my type 1 diabetes in 20 years. I always thought that someday I may need time off sick, so did everything to arrange hospital appointments in my holidays or days off or out of work hours etc. I was right because in the past couple of years I have had a few problems, and don't feel guilty because I know I did everything I could for my previous Employers.

As much as governments bring in laws at the end of the day Employers still have the right to employ the best people suitable for their positions. Diabetes should not be a reason for refusing employment. When I used to do back to work interviews for (non diabetic) staff that would take the mickey out of Employer's paying their Sick Pay, I used to use my life and diabetes as a good example.