Erratic blood sugars

jwilki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been admitted to hospital (Cyprus) because my blood sugar levels have gone crazy. They are varying between 2.2 and 35 last three days in hospital they have averaged 3 and the doctor has me down to 12 units of Lantus and NO Rapid. After eating they rise to a respectful 7/8 then about an hour later plumit back down again. Had some very bad hypo's including fitting. Weall seem at a loss. Will keep all posted but only have iPhone connection so may be away for a couple days at a time

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
sorry to hear you arent well, hope hospital sorts u out very soon :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I remember your writing recently that you have a pancreatic tumour
Perhaps it's pumping out insulin and causing your problem. It's always worth trying a strict low carb diet, in the hope that your pancreas gets less stimulation and produces less insulin.
Your illness is obviously pretty complex. Let's hope you find an inspired doctor. My husband once found one just at the right moment.
All the best
Hana

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi,
If you're not on any other medication, have you thought it could be the Lantus? It does not work for some people, and having been one of those people, I have complete sympathy with your situation I had huge fluctuations for no reason, not in the 30s though. I had days when I was hypo all day long, on the same dose and with NO humalog,and other days when it was up in the 20s, and my humalog didn't work. I was so ill on it for 41/2 years, and am now in contact with other people who've suffered similarly on it with not only lousy BG control but a host of other side-effects.
Found this document yesterday and the bottom paragraph worried me, wonder what it's about.http://medguides.medicines.org.uk/docum ... uitability
I really hope, whatever the cause, you can get it resolved soon.
We're all thinking of you, so let u know how you go.
Jus

jwilki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for all your kind and helpful words. The doc has now stopped all insulin and we are starting over again. As some of you have said it does look like Lantus is the problem. Stopped rapid and only 12 units of lantus and having bad hypo's every night. No Lantus last night and all was fantastic. Still see how things go. Slowly slowly now with close monitoring by docs and nurse

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Got no advice but good luck fella, I hope they get you sorted out quickly

jwilki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just a quick update. Still in hospital. They "rebooted" my system by stopping all medication and have just restarted. My concern now is blood sugar levels are reasonabily stable but at present taking no rapid and only 12 units of Lantus, whereas before I was on 40 Lantus and, depending on reading, between 10-25 rapid three times a day. Time to wait and see what happens.

jwilki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Further update. Well still in hospital but good news is glucose levels seem to have stabalised, all beit a little high at 11. This is now with 10 units of Lantus daily and as required 8 units of rapid. Doc is now going to adjust as needed so lets hope no more Hypo's and a quick route home, been in hospital for over two weeks now before things stabalised. Worse, no real reason found, yrt.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hope they can help you get well soon :D

jwilki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well after a very short while blood sugars went crazy again. After a lot of tests the Doctor has discovered that I am not reacting to the Lantis I take at night and this appears to be the cause of erratic levels.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi,
Have you been in hospital since last time you posted? You've had a rough time of it, and I'm glad your doc's sussed out the problem. I do hope your Christmas has not been too miserable.
Let us know how you get on with your new insulin, and hope things get better for you.
Jus :)