Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Films with Nicholas Cage !
Hi fellow bloodsuckers,

Can anybody help me out with this ?
At lunchtime today I took a Blood Glucose Reading 2 hours after eating a little melon and drinking my usual black coffee. I got a reading of 7.0 which I thought to be perhaps a little higher than I expected. So following the advice I'd been previously given on this site, I retested...twice. I got 5.9 and then 6.5.....!!
I'm using an SD Codefree device but surely those readings are outwith normal parameters ?
My hands were clean and the retests were done within minutes. My reading before eating was 5.8.

So of the three readings, which one do I take as the most accurate, the middle one ? And do I have to take three readings and average them to get meaningful results ?

Or am I just being too fussy ?

Regards to All.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It happens, I'm afraid. The usual meter inaccuracy, corrupted strips, whatever. There are many reasons, including our own blood as this rushes round the body at breakneck speed, and each single tiny haemoglobin cell will have a different amount of glucose attached to it.

If you keep records yourself, all you can do is average them as the true reading could have been any of the 3 or none of the 3.

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You'll rarely get the same reading twice. As long as your second reading is in the same region as your first, there's no need to worry.

The only reason for rechecking is in case there was an error eg food on your hands.

Reactions: bluecurlylegend

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The ISO standard that all new meters are required to meet define accuracy limits within which 95% of readings should fall within. If you make an assumption that your true bgl reading should be 6.5 mmol/l, then any meter reading between 5.5 and 7.5 will be deemed to be accurate.