1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

ESA and PIP

Discussion in 'Benefits' started by No1DeadlyPoison, Apr 29, 2019.

1. No1DeadlyPoison

No1DeadlyPoison Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, I am claiming Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and have heard that I could claim Personal Independence Payments (PIP), I have phoned PIP and they will be sending me a form to fill out, I am just wondering if PIP will affect my ESA in any way or are they to separate benefits and not affect each other.

2. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No pip won't affect your benefits - my son gets both at full rate (not diabetic though) get some advice from citizens advice about filling it in as the wording makes a difference - there is a good site with lots of advice on filling in will see if I can find it for you :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ally1

ally1 Type 2 · Expert

They are separate benefits.
    If PIP for your diabetes, I have no idea if that is why you want to apply.
    I get care side of PIP but that's for my mental health. I am due to renew mine and will put down my mobility problems. I do feel with PIP that it's hit or miss getting awarded. I do suggest the Cab to help fill it in

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. No1DeadlyPoison

Thank you so much! These forms are always so hard to do!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. No1DeadlyPoison

Thank you for replying, I also have mental health issues which is why I wanted to claim it. I guess all I can do it try and see if they will allow me to claim it :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. oopsupside

oopsupside Type 2 · Active Member

I have subscribed to Benefits & Work twice and have been successful twice. Filling out the forms is a pain but B and W make it less so.

8. Omnipod

Omnipod Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have my PIP f2f tomorrow. I also joined B&W before I completed the forms. Im absolutely bricking myself after reading all the comments online about these assessments.

9. oopsupside

oopsupside Type 2 · Active Member

I had a face to face assessment going from DLA to PIP and the person that I was assigned was very, very rude, aloof and made me feel stupid.... D

• Hug Hug x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook