Anonymous Question ESA and Type 1. Can I Claim?

Anonymous Question

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I have recently had my ESA stopped and been told i'm fit for work. I have type 1 diabetes had it for 14 yrs. I have terrible hypos sometimes upto 6 a week sometimes twice a day am I entitled to claim ESA?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When you say "terrible" hypos, I'm presuming you mean you go very low not just 3.9 or whatever?

If you're having such bad hypos, then the first thing you need to do is speak to your DSN and get advice.

Things to consider:

1) Is your basal dose correct? Do a basal test to check it is.
2) Are you counting carbs and adjusting your meal time insulin? If not, that could be a large part of the problem. Push for help with that, or look at the BERTIE online course.
3) Is there another reason beyond your control that is causing the hypos?

Type 1 diabetes alone isn't a reason to claim ESA unless you have diabetic complications.

The first strategy is to get control with the help of your team so that you can reduce the number of hypos and/or their severity.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Sorry I can,t comment about type1 as I know very little about type1 as I am type2.
First thing I would say, is to see whoever cares for you with your diabetes..
I have recently had my ESA stopped and am trying to get it back. I never claimed ESA for my diabetes as that's not the reason I was on it. I got it for having bipolar.
I do know that it's now very very hard to claim ESA now.
I have my pdoc helping me to get my ESA back as he feels and also I feel that my bipolar is very unpredictable at the moment, so getting a job and also maintaining a job at the moment is hard

amber567

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank You for the advice .Sometimes a hypo at 3.5 or below can take me an hour or 2 to get over. By terrible hypos I mean I forget conversations can't think like a daze and the most terrible headaches then I feel worn out. I can forget what i'm doing or where I am can be scary if i'm out on my own