Even Artificially Sweetened Fizzy Drinks Increase The Risk

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
b9b8516b86475677252d89a5f0f6f373.jpg

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Kevin,
I guess they too switch off the satiety hormone that works all the time on a non processed low carb diet?? regards Derek

Last edited:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be questionable research, but my body concurs that diet drinks are as bad as sugary ones. Short term they are fine. Long-term I am convinced they are one of the things that helped me suffer from insulin resistance, which is basically what T2 is. I wish I had never forced down that first can of 'Tab' back in the 70s.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I wish I had never forced down that first can of 'Tab' back in the 70s.

Showing your age @zand ;)

Looking back now TAB was awful, it was only one of about 3 diet drinks that were available when I was diagnosed with type 1.

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Looking back now TAB was awful, it was only one of about 3 diet drinks that were available when I was diagnosed with type 1.
lol yeh, I thought the 'youngsters' here would say "What's TAB?":) It was truly awful.

Reactions: noblehead

Rucky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I'm a newbie and I drink Diet Coke at least 4 cans a day I don't know if it's contributed to my borderline reading

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It might be questionable research, but my body concurs that diet drinks are as bad as sugary ones. Short term they are fine. Long-term I am convinced they are one of the things that helped me suffer from insulin resistance, which is basically what T2 is. I wish I had never forced down that first can of 'Tab' back in the 70s.
as I have written in another thread

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...abetes-risk-study_uk_5809cadde4b0f479c0d629c0

Researchers from the Karolinska Institute studied levels of soft drink consumption in amore than 2,800 Swedish adults and compared them with rates of diabetes.

They found that those who drank two of the drinks per day had a 2.4 times higher risk of developing Type 2 diabetes than those who didn’t drink any.

Soft drinks were also found to increase the risk of a less common condition called Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults (Lada), which shares characteristics of both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes.

Type 1 diabetes, which requires constant insulin injections, is an autoimmune disease that wipes out insulin-producing cells in the pancreas.

Lead scientist Dr Josefin Edwall Lofvenborg told PA: “In this study we were surprised by the increased risk in developing autoimmune diabetes by drinking soft drinks.
It's possible that the result obtained are showing some correlation but drinking soft drink is not the culprit and it's only a proxy for another cause, or there's an error in the statistics, because seems strange that artificial sweeteners could trigger an autoimmune disease.

I could assume that a particular kind of sweetener is dangerous, but that a generic consumption of soft drinks could cause both T2 and LADA is strange - being a retrospective research, the dangers on searching on a skewed statistical sample are high: is the same problem that most of heroine addict were hemp smokers before.

Reactions: Sauron

iHs

I rremembered the days before TAB when all I could drink at parties was water with fraction of a tsp of orange squash and only being able to eat no more than 50g carb for the whole day. I always felt left out. My mum eventually found out about Coroner producing a sugar free lemonade in a glass bottle and had a crate of about 6 bottles delivered to our house. When TAB became available......the flags went up with happiness.

Reactions: zand and noblehead

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I rremembered the days before TAB when all I could drink at parties was water with fraction of a tsp of orange squash and only being able to eat no more than 50g carb for the whole day. I always felt left out. My mum eventually found out about Coroner producing a sugar free lemonade in a glass bottle and had a crate of about 6 bottles delivered to our house. When TAB became available......the flags went up with happiness.

I do remember Corona soft drinks, wonder if they are still on the go @iHs ?

I only really remember TAB, 1Cal & Schweppes Slimeline Bitter Lemon, was pleased when diet Coke & Pepsi came on the market.

Reactions: Drew1970

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I do remember Corona soft drinks, wonder if they are still on the go @iHs ?

I only really remember TAB, 1Cal & Schweppes Slimeline Bitter Lemon, was pleased when diet Coke & Pepsi came on the market.
Sadly Corona closed down a number of years ago. Always liked them, probably due to returns policy rather than the drink! Factory was in my home city, in a prominent position too. Behind it was the driving test centre... I visited there a good few times :) Seems today's a day for very differing memories. I remember Aberfan only too well also.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sadly Corona closed down a number of years ago. Always liked them, probably due to returns policy rather than the drink!

They were the days, as kids we use to go round the local building sites looking for pop bottles to return to the shop for a refund.

I remember Aberfan only too well also.

I don't remember it happening but what an awful tragedy with so many young lives lost.

Reactions: Drew1970 and Struma

ckneppel

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
When I was first diagnosed, I did a LOT of reading on insulin resistance and I came across a couple of studies that concluded that artificial sweeteners do increase insulin resistance, at least in rats and mice. I was a Coke-aholic, I bought into the idea pushed by the sugar industry that sugar does not cause diabetes and that the only problem was that it makes you fat. As we all now know, if you have a genetic predisposition, a lifetime of the supposedly healthy high carb/low fat diet will send you over the edge into diabetes sooner or later. In the US, McDonald's sells 32 oz. sodas for a dollar, and I had one every day for years and enjoyed it. We are too soon old and too late wise, or something like that. Moral of the story, if you want a fizzy drink, opt for plain or flavored, no artificial sweeteners, no sugar.

Reactions: Brunneria

Canadian_cousin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
as I have written in another thread

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...abetes-risk-study_uk_5809cadde4b0f479c0d629c0

It's possible that the result obtained are showing some correlation but drinking soft drink is not the culprit and it's only a proxy for another cause, or there's an error in the statistics, because seems strange that artificial sweeteners could trigger an autoimmune disease.

I could assume that a particular kind of sweetener is dangerous, but that a generic consumption of soft drinks could cause both T2 and LADA is strange - being a retrospective research, the dangers on searching on a skewed statistical sample are high: is the same problem that most of heroine addict were hemp smokers before.
Jason Fung and others write about how artificial sweeteners can raise your insulin level up by up to 20%, in spite of the fact that it doesn't raise your blood glucose level or have calories. Increasing your insulin when you are insulin resistant is a genuine problem. It is insulin resistance that causes diabetes.

It's interesting to note that even things like Stevia which is marketed as being natural, even though it's highly processed from an original leaf source, is just as bad as the chemically created artificial sweeteners. The definitive data is not all in on the sugar alcohols, but at least one of them is being marketed in Canada as not raising your insulin level, or your blood sugar , so I assume that it's on offer throughout North America. This is one of the reasons that diet advice for intermittent fasting, and other kinds of diabetic diets steers you away from artificial sweeteners , because they raise your insulin level, when you're trying to lower your insulin resistance and clear out your fatty liver and fatty pancreas. There are other issues as well, like the brain satiation issue etc. but the diet pop people are really trying to keep the issue about insulin quiet.

Beagler

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always avoided artificial sweeteners, mainly out of sheer bloody-mindedness, and now I find I cannot bear the taste - anything labelled "No Added Sugar!!!" invariably tastes revoltingly bitter. Sometimes I forget and reach for my son's fruit squash - take one sip and throw the rest down the sink...irritating, I would love a nice no-crab sweet drink sometimes. No CARB nearly wrote something the moderator's wouldn't like!

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After 55 years of drinking Diet/sugar free drinks I have had no problem at all with them and my T1