Type 1 Evening Snack Recommendations For Low Sugar

The_Petal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just had my spleen and pancreas removed which means I have full Type 1 diabetes.

I have been told that if I have a low bed time reading I should have a snack, but not something like biscuits which have a lot of fat. So I am looking for recommendations for bed time snacks.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @The_Petal

Only just seen this post.

I eat one or two oat cakes if I need a boost at bedtime. One Nairn fine milled oat cake is 4.3g carbs and 1.6g fat (compared 10.4g and 3.9g respectively for a chocolate digestive).

Otherwise, you could try a dry cracker (such as Jacobs or Ryvita), obviously without butter though or perhaps a smidge.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Ledzeptt , I'm an oatcake fan too, well, I'm Scottish, so it's kinda compulsory....

A whole-food shop round the corner from me started stocking another of Nairn's creations, seeded oatcakes, with a bit of chia, sunflower seeds and flaxseeds chucked into the mix.

Although the seed bit seems a bit hipster/gimmicky, they're really good - a lot crisper than the usual ones, and the seeds add a bit of texture.

I'd thoroughly recommend giving them a go if you can find them in your neck of the woods. Pretty sure there's a gluten free version too. About 5g per if I remember correctly.

packaging-products-organic_ss-oatcakes-1010x1010.png

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Thanks @Scott-C sounds good: I’ll look out for the seeeed ones!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Flipping it around if you do have a low reading at bedtime it indicates that you miscalculated your bolus dose at teatime. So if it does happen frequently you could look at stuff like the ration of carb to insulin and the timing of the dose.
I assume that you need to eat more carbs because you now have some problems digesting fat?