1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Evening Snack Recommendations For Low Sugar

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by The_Petal, Jul 18, 2018.

1. The_Petal

The_Petal Type 1 · Member

I have just had my spleen and pancreas removed which means I have full Type 1 diabetes.

I have been told that if I have a low bed time reading I should have a snack, but not something like biscuits which have a lot of fat. So I am looking for recommendations for bed time snacks.

2. Ledzeptt

Ledzeptt Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Hi @The_Petal

Only just seen this post.

I eat one or two oat cakes if I need a boost at bedtime. One Nairn fine milled oat cake is 4.3g carbs and 1.6g fat (compared 10.4g and 3.9g respectively for a chocolate digestive).

Otherwise, you could try a dry cracker (such as Jacobs or Ryvita), obviously without butter though or perhaps a smidge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Ledzeptt , I'm an oatcake fan too, well, I'm Scottish, so it's kinda compulsory....

A whole-food shop round the corner from me started stocking another of Nairn's creations, seeded oatcakes, with a bit of chia, sunflower seeds and flaxseeds chucked into the mix.

Although the seed bit seems a bit hipster/gimmicky, they're really good - a lot crisper than the usual ones, and the seeds add a bit of texture.

I'd thoroughly recommend giving them a go if you can find them in your neck of the woods. Pretty sure there's a gluten free version too. About 5g per if I remember correctly.

packaging-products-organic_ss-oatcakes-1010x1010.png

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ledzeptt

Ledzeptt Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Thanks @Scott-C sounds good: I’ll look out for the seeeed ones!

5. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Flipping it around if you do have a low reading at bedtime it indicates that you miscalculated your bolus dose at teatime. So if it does happen frequently you could look at stuff like the ration of carb to insulin and the timing of the dose.
    I assume that you need to eat more carbs because you now have some problems digesting fat?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook