Everybody on insulin?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've just been to my doctor and successfully begged some test strips. Blood pressure was ok-ish 130/78 and I discusseed my efforts to lose weight whilst on medication. I'm down 6 Kg since he last weighed me. During the discussion he told me that "they" want everybody on insulin. It's easier to keep good control. Since they're stopping prescribing strips to type 2s on orals, to save money. what will putting everybody on insulin cost the strips bill?
I also confirmed I'm still low carb NOT no carb. My "very Excellent GP" told me that they're coming round to it. NICE mentions low GI in the lates guidelines. He also told me he'd been to a talk by the local Big Fish on diabetes and asked about low carb. BF immediately threw out my name. Yippee!! I'm famous!!! ( I've never seen BF as a patient.)
I was also warned that just because I'm managing to avoid complications at the moment, It doesn't mean I can avoid them for ever and I will probably get some and need to go on insulin eventually.
Bernstein doesn't think so.
I wonder what they use for evidence for these things. I've read the Nice guidelines and there's no study of complications and long term low carbing.

sixfoot

hanadr , hi from reading your post they answered the question for yo. IE Delaying the onset of complications is what we and ( i hope ) doctors etc are trying to do until some kind of effective remedy can be found. Maybe with current Med Know how some T2`s will end up on Insulin, but i dont see too many people on this site anyway saying give up and bring on the blind dogs and wheel chairs.

Dave P

lionrampant

This is... odd. I say odd because the only recent study that suggests type 2's be put on insulin asap was only released a month or so ago. Kinda quick for NICE or anyone else to be making treatment recommendations.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I don't know if it's just my doctor suspecting that's the way the wind's blowing.
To me putting type 2s onto insulin immediately doesn't make sense as so many of us are sloshing about in the stuff. Bernstein suggests that we can protect our beta cells by low carbing and need never "progress" to insulin. However On the recommended diet all 2s are bound to progress, so I'm not sure what the game is. It's definitely NOT allowing us to take control of our condition, should we want to. I realise that many don't. NICE says we should be in control, but the PCTs are preventing it and blaming it onto NICE. I once wrote to NICE telling them I wasn't happy about the restriction on strips and they replied that it isn't their policy. That was before the latest guidelines were published. NICE and the PCTs have got it sewn up. If we don't like it, they bounce the blame back and forth. I'm about to write to NICE again. Their policy lumps all type 2s together and we have several diffrent groups according to how much control we wish o have over our own bodies.

sixfoot

Hanadr, you seem to be well into the debating cycle. I am T2 and late last year my GP wanted to put me on Insulin. I drive for a living and that would have imediate consequences. So when i saw him again i asked what other alternatives are there because i wasnt happy to go that way. Byetta was mentioned but as a trial. i accepted and also found this site and the two went hand in hand. The Byetta has helped me lose weight and got good BS control, the site info has helped me with food intake and explanation as to why and how it is critical. To that end i suppose i have become cynical of the " Establishment " because it is very clear the official advice will only perpetuate my conditions decline.

Dave P

Katharine

I have become cynical of the " Establishment " because it is very clear the official advice will only perpetuate my conditions decline.

Dave P

You're right Dave. It is an absolute disgrace.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Dearsixfoot
Look up David Mendosa's site. He started with Byetta and continued with very low carb and exercise and is noe off all medication Byetta is expensive and tthey don't like it to be prescribed, but it's a lifeline for some of us. I have checked the NICE guidelines and despite batrtling with weight, I'd never get it. I'm too well controlled. I sometimes wish I wer stupid and incompetent. I suspect I'd get better treatment. Not My GP, we've known each other professionally for over 30 years and I know he tries his best for me. I'm on Doxazosin 2 x 4mg per day for blood pressure and I asked for the 8mg tablets instead. He brought up the costs on his computer to show me. Would you believe that the 8mg tabs would work out about £100 a year more? For that I'll put up with slight inconvenience. Somehow I need to show that letting me have strips is economical. Since I'm retired, I'm ignored as a productive person.