ex type 2

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Hi everyone.
My name is Lee and I am a 60 year old (or young? no, definitely OLD!) male. Not too sure what to put as I just want to share something with you. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes several years ago. In 2011 a friend asked me to accompany her to a slimming class as she felt awkward going by herself (aged 80) I joined with her and I have now lost 5 stones in weight, and my diabetes. It started to recede (is that the right term?) with the more weight I lost. My great nurse didn't want to say it would go completely, but I think she had her fingers crossed! In July of 2012, a week or so after my 59th birthday, she gave me the news that I could discontinue ALL my diabetes meds, most of my blood pressure meds and I could stop taking my statin too. My cholesterol could still do with coming down, but at least I am off that drug for the time being. It is up to me now to keep all those problems away otherwise they could come back. I am not 'cured' of diabetes, my body can now produce what it needs for someone of my size. My friend and I (she has lost nearly 3 stone by the way!) go for lots of walks down here in Cornwall. I think the exercise and walking plus being nearly a vegan has played a part in my new found health. Also, I can now buy trousers that fit my waist without needing several inches of the bottom of the leg!
Best wishes, Lee

zalastar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Congratulations! That's a brilliant story, and inspires newbies like me who are just starting the journey! Xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
lrw60 said:
Also, I can now buy trousers that fit my waist without needing several inches of the bottom of the leg!

I can relate to that though I have yet to still buy the trousers. The current pairs are way too loose, even with tight belts. Losing weight and exercise does work! If you are into vetetarian food, have a look at Indian Vegetarian Cooking, http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1444734717 I'm not normally into it but many of these dishes taste so good and use a lot of pulses etc, that I make a couple of them every week and look forward to them. They are filling and satisfying too.

vicky_l

Well Done Lee :)

and Yorksman ;-)

inspirational for us newbies just starting the journey

thank you for sharing

Vicky_l

sassywriter43

That is what my hubbies nan said. She has recently been told she is now no longer classed as diabetic, all her blood glucose levels have returned to normal - because her weight has reduced. That is all she done - lost weight. Yes she also now low carbs. She doesn't like bread, she doesn't like rice, she doesn't eat much potato.

Yes she does have to have annual HBA1C blood tests but she doesn't test her bloods, she has been told she no longer has to attend eye clinics, foot checks, so it can be done.

And she got diagnosed 20 years ago, the sudden change came after a hip replacement 2 years ago when she suddenly stopped eating and the weight fell off, and she went from 16 stone to 7 stone.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sassywriter43 said:
And she got diagnosed 20 years ago, the sudden change came after a hip replacement 2 years ago when she suddenly stopped eating and the weight fell off, and she went from 16 stone to 7 stone.

That's interesting. There were a number of papers a few years ago which pointed out the beneficial effects on diabetes in patients who unwent bariatric surgery. The sudden drop in food intake seemed to reverse the diabetes. That is what prompted Newcastle Uni to investigate what was going on. Their method was to severely restrict the calorie intake of volunteers. I don't think it is regarded as a full cure because by the time of diagnosis, most diabetics have lost about 50% of their beta cells and they don't get replaced. However, it does appear to stop the loss of the beta cell function and, what remains does appear to start functioning normally again. The interesting observation is that, whereas all the volunteers in the Newcastle study had been dignosed within 4 years, your example is of someone who had been diagnosed for 18 years.

lrw60

Dislikes
I wish I had found this forum in the early days of my diabetes. There is so much help and advice on offer. I have started to cut down on my carb intake. I don't want the diabetes to come back later in life. I must admit to getting into a few bad habits when I got the all clear last year. And as for Christmas.... :oops: Still, back on track with this forum. :angel: My friend, Lorna, who I walk with has been quite poorly recently, but now she is on te mend we will start our long walks again. Portreath beach is only a few miles away and can be a calming walk, if not tiring! :yawn: I now have the task of going through all the different ingredients that we use in our meals to discover which ones I should avoid or change. I will check out the link Yorksman, thanks. So far, here in Cornwall, no snow. We had about an inch a few months back which lasted nearly all day!
Lee

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
lrw60 said:
My friend, Lorna, who I walk with has been quite poorly recently, but now she is on te mend we will start our long walks again. Portreath beach is only a few miles away and can be a calming walk, if not tiring!

If Lorna is the 80 year old who you mention above, she is doing well going to fitness classes and long walks on the beach. I am sure shifting all this snow that we are having is going to finish me off. I haven't shifted as much since I was about 15.

I do notice though that it is a lot easier than it has been in previous years, so something is working.

lrw60

Dislikes
Hi Yorksman,
I have just walked up to the exercise class with Lorna, just under 1/4 mile, I will drive up later to collect her. She has been too ill to go to her orchestra practice on Monday eves, but she is still looking forward to taking a grade 8 oboe exam this summer, even though she has been a professional musician all her life! If I am lucky enough to reach 82..... I found I had more energy as I was dieting, it must have been the reduction in carbs. Even since joining this forum several days ago and reducing my carb intake some more I have found more energy. Two years ago I would struggle to get out of bed by 9am now I struggle to stay in bed past 8am, I will have to reset my alarm earlier. I look forward to getting up early if we ever have a summer. We are so lucky here in Cornwall not to have had the snow most of the country has had. Some days you will see the hardier schoolkids going to school with no coat on.
Lee :thumbup:

vicky_l

:wave: Lee I knew it when you wrote the name of the beach you in Cornwall too Lovely rain down here aint it lol :lol:

oh that is heartwarming tho to know she is doing so well and no longer deemed to be diabetic thats what I want to achieve reverse it

starting with breakfast tomorrow oh yeah after the bread I got coming is done with then no more but I like potatoes and bread its going to be tough I know

Vicky_l

lrw60

Dislikes
Hi Vicky,
Like you I am wondering what to do about things I shouldn't eat. Bread, spuds etc. I am hoping to find out more about carbs and what I should do to either cut down or avoid them. I always look at the ingredients and nutritional values on any foods I buy, except raw veg of course! But I still don't understand if foods that are high in carbs but low in sugar, are bad for me. I wish foods came with a very clear label, NOT suitable for diabetics! I have a calorie/carb counter book that lists thousands of foods with all the carb, fat, protein and fibre contents. Great if you can eat normal amounts of carbs. My friend wasn't diabetic, that was me! She has been poorly for the last five weeks though, but now on the mend. We are both really looking forward to a change in the weather so we can start long walks again, short walks around her village are good, but Portreath beach really is something else. We stood on the beach last year and watched a seal showing interest in some swimmers on boards.
I am finding the low carb section of this forum very interesting. I have emailed a professor friend of mine to see if he can steer me in the right direction. Both he and one of his daughters are doctors, so I am hoping they can help me.
Lee

vicky_l

hi Lee

sounds good

never been to that beach but I know of it

ahh well dont think you going to get your weather just yet

ITS UMMM SNOWING EEEEKKKK its ok breathe dont panic tiny flakes probably wont come to anything :lol: haha had you for a moment then didnt I be honest :wink:

lets hope so and umm

bread potatoes my weakness so once roasties gone no more except when out as have no self control around those foods :oops:

happy eating

Vicky_l

lrw60

Dislikes
I have been reading various suggestions about what us diabetics should eat. Bread and potatoes don't come out well at all. Nor does brown rice. I allways thought it was supposed to be the best type to eat! Cutting down on my morning porridge was not a good idea. I think I felt better for it, but I found I couldn't eat enough foods during the day that contained less carbs or sugar. So I have gone back to 60g of porridge but still only 1 slice of bread per day and I will be looking into alternative to rice and spuds. I fell out with tesco a few years back so I don't shop there any more. I understand they carry a range of low carb cerials and possibly the Burgan bread mentioned elsewhere. Morrisons doesn't sell this stuff, nor Lidl. I might try Aldi. Any Ideas anyone?
You know, being a vegitarian dieting diabetic ain't easy! :lol:
Lee.

Sloan973

I always have two small slices of hovis bread ( total about18g of carbs) or 30 g of porridge (20g of carb), in any one meal. I think it is more the amount of carbs in a single meal that puts pressure on the panchreas, rather than the total amount in a day. So I try to eat carbs little and often. This helps me to control my levels rather well.I don't like Burgen.