Example dosages

Bev99cats

Hi there, I am struggling with dosage of abasaglar. I test in the morning, and depending on the reading I then set a dose of injection to take that night before bed.
I understand everyones readings and dosages are different, however I worry about the amount of insulin I am injecting.
I want to be reassured that I am normal and only doing what others in my situation are doing.
For example how many units are you injecting nightly. Are doses of 30 / 40 units high, standard or low amounts??

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Bev99cats , and welcome to the forum!
Some inject 3 units, some inject over 200 units, I inject around 80 units (plus mealtime insulin).
There are no standard doses.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
T2 dosages tend to be (often much) higher than those of T1s, as T2s suffer from insulin resistance and typically only need treatment when their body's over production of insulin is still not enough to compensate for the carbs that they can't process properly.

Assuming you are T2 (and not a misdiagnosed T1) you might want to try reducing your carbs to see if that allows you to reduce or (long term) eliminate that insulin (But talk to your team first, as if you aren't careful this could lead to hypos). But as regards the dosage, we really cannot advise here, your diabetic team should have told you how much to take and be monitoring your dosage.

Are you taking short acting insulin before meals as well?

ps and welcome to the forums.