Excellent cholesterol results on LCHF diet

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your blood glucose going down is far more significant for your future health than your cholesterol going up. Hope you have watched the Ken Sikaris video and it has reassured you. Just keep doing what you are doing and don't worry about cholesterol at all. Get a breakdown of your numbers. It is very likely that your total cholesterol has gone up because your HDL has gone up. High HDL and low Triglicerides are a much better marker for heart health than Total Cholesterol and LDL.

Er, just no really.

It's very easy to get fixated on BG as the only single health risk, and to simply dismiss all others out of hand.
It's important to take a holistic approach and ensure that you stay healthy overall.
All health markers are important to many of us.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I to struggle to keep my weight up I lost a few pounds when I went on Metformin that I didn't need to loose. Eating more saturated fat is really not an option for me I don't eat red meat and that means no sausages or bacon either I really don't like it. I have been eating mostly chicken but I have gone off that a bit now so I'm eating mostly eggs cheese fish including canned tuna and salmon as well as fresh fish I do not eat much yogurt now went off that as well and am not a butter or cream lover when I did try to make myself eat more of that I didn't enjoy it and it just put up my cholesterol. I do have mayo and I eat avocados have good oils and some nuts but I just can't put back the weight I lost. I have got good BG levels though but agree with SunnyExpat you do have to consider your whole health thing not just BG

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If, as I believe, it is inflammation that is actually the underlying cause of heart disease and cholesterol is just an 'innocent bystander' then reducing blood glucose to normal is the most important thing by miles, and replacing polyunsaturated fat (particularly Omega 6) with saturated fat is another important anti-inflammatory move. You do your research, you pay your money, you takes your choice. Normalising blood glucose, for me is the biggest factor by miles.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If, as I believe, it is inflammation that is actually the underlying cause of heart disease and cholesterol is just an 'innocent bystander' then reducing blood glucose to normal is the most important thing by miles, and replacing polyunsaturated fat (particularly Omega 6) with saturated fat is another important anti-inflammatory move. You do your research, you pay your money, you takes your choice. Normalising blood glucose, for me is the biggest factor by miles.

To others, me included, some balance of potential health problems is wiser.
No point in ignoring everything else, while chasing one great white whale.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Guess we're never going to agree, @SunnyExpat, we are always on the opposite side of the debate on this one! We are all part of a huge experiment on ourselves. Actually, we have all been part of a huge experiment since the 1980s when the diet heart hypothesis started. How I regret raising my children on margarine, vegetable oils, low fat faux food! Thankfully they are all converted in adulthood to the 'Just eat real food' message. Only time will tell.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The supermarket faux meat is the one to watch for now.
Mass produced, full of steroids, antibiotics, then processed into neat clean wrappers.
Processed frankenmeat is just as bad.
(Probably should be frankenfurter to name them correctly)

TJR56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love you people. T1 myself, and lowering CHO, not feeling so guilty about eating fat - fan of coconut oil.butter - and therefore insulin has helped me feel better and I've started losing weight gradually. No idea about cholesterol. Should I ask for a check?

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love you people. T1 myself, and lowering CHO, not feeling so guilty about eating fat - fan of coconut oil.butter - and therefore insulin has helped me feel better and I've started losing weight gradually. No idea about cholesterol. Should I ask for a check?

Yes, you should. TBH you should have this checked every time you have an HbA1c.

cloudreader72

Actually, we have all been part of a huge experiment since the 1980s when the diet heart hypothesis started. How I regret raising my children on margarine, vegetable oils, low fat faux food! Thankfully they are all converted in adulthood to the 'Just eat real food' message. Only time will tell.

So true! For 20 years I stuggled with my weight and tried to eat as low fat as possible, switch to wholemeal bread, rye bread, brown pasta, brown rice and ... kept ballooning! Now with Newcastle diet I lost 3 stones in 8 weeks and then with LCHF another 3 stones in 6 months.
LCHF is sustainable for life, my only concern is that my HDL is on the low side:35 (has always been) and my LDL has shot up (210), triglecyrides are ok: 93 .
As a cautionary measure I am avoiding lard and butter from non-organic sources and frying with extra virgin olive oil instead of butter/coconut oil

Reactions: 4 people