Excess fluid in my eye

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all,

I had a hospital appointment yesterday to have my eyes looked at. Apparenty in one eye I have "quite a lot" of fluid. My sight is fine and they are for now just going to monitor it. Consultant said that if I could get my hb1ac levels down it "could" rectify itself - I had a bleed that did the same thing.

Has anyone else had this? if so did you sort itself out?

S

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sean I have not had this but it just goes to show how vital regular eye checks are for Diabetics whatever their control is like. All the best to you.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking back pre-diagnosis (the only thing I was aware of at the time was a bad temper), I had trouble with my vision - it was slightly blurred but I blamed my very bad short-sightedness and trouble with contact lenses. Having got bg down to pre-diabetic level, my eyesight has improved, although I don't know whether it was fluid. Hopefully yours will too, @seanj67

D

Deleted Account

Not sure if it is the same thing but when we have high BG, our bodies look for ways to get rid of the excess sugar. We feel thirsty because our kidneys want to flush it out and we wee a lot.
But that is not the only way our bodies try to get rid of the sugar - it tries most avenues: saliva, tear ducts, ...

When I was first diagnosed I was a tad upset ... until I liked a tear and realised it didn't taste salty: it was sweet. I then had to carry on crying so my boyfriend could taste it too!

Anyway, the point of this little story is that high BG causes the body to flush out sugar which may result in excess water in the eyes.

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all,

Yes, I've had the "blurries" before due to increased pressure on the lens from excessive sugar in the eye. This is, I think, something a little different. They showed me a lovely picture of my eye and sitting on the curve of the lens was what looked like a clear pea. Sometimes I do get a blurred spot in the centre of my eye. Luckily vision and pressure were ok so hopefully I can reverse it. It's all about the numbers!

S

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
fluid - do they mean floaters, if so they can resolve

macular bleed is a different kettle of fish and they told me same thing

but I recently had a test for the opposite, ie. whether I was making enough tears. I was but one eye was making more than the other.. But was told to regularly use eye drops without preservatives. These do not come in bottles but in individual plastic tubes that last about four or five times.

Ah no, this was what looked like a clear pea shaped blob of fluid on the eye/lens. They didn't seem overly concerned but enough to want to monitor it before deciding if treatments is needed. I had a bleed 2 years ago, luckily it stopped when I got a grip on my sugars..... which I have since lost.... sigh.