Excessive Flatulence (Farting)

Smeggers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-opinionated people.
Since being diagnosed just before Christmas last year, I have changed my diet to help lose weight. I eat a lot more vegetables and have cut down on the carbs (2 roast spuds instead of 5 or 6). The downside of this is the amount of flatulence I seem to have. It doesn't matter where I am or what I am doing, every 5-10 minutes a quite loud and offensive Trump is emitted. Obviously, this can be quite embarrassing and I am wondering what I can do about it. I have tried eating charcoal biscuits but they just make the farts smell worse. Is there anyone out there suffering with the same problem and, if so, what remedy do you take?

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried living on a remote hilltop?

(that's supposed to be a joke - I sympathize but can offer no sensible advice)

The most farty vegetables are beans/lentils/chickpeas; brassicas (cauliflower brocolli cabbage etc), and alliums (onion, garlic).

There are lots of other foods that can worsen flatulence but these are the most common as they ferment in the gut.

Try reducing- not necessarily cuttiing out completely- each group (ideally 1 group at a time) to figure out what's causing the problem.

Good luck!

Reactions: Smeggers

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Buy a kite!
Air freshner!

find an alternative to the metformin!

Or enjoy which bothers you!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I am trialling SimAlvia for my IBS which part is an antiflatulant. I've cut back on Metformin some weeks ago but this is my first week on SimAlvia. (Alverine citrate and Simeticone).
Not sure much help but I wanted to put it out there as so far it's great. After bypass very common to get trapped wind. Worse with metformin and heavy meat meals.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Not called Metfartin for nothing

I am very farty, I do enjoy a good stinker when I’m alone but not hugely fond of sharing, regardless of the caring aspect, I suppose you could experiment with cutting out each food until you find the culprits?

Smeggers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-opinionated people.
Never experienced Metformin. Seriously, I do not need anything to increase the amount of gas released, rather something to decrease it.

I have also found that different foods provide different smells and effects. I won't go into too much detail but I'm sure many of you will know of the "eggy" or " cabbagey" fragrance.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There will probably be one or two specific food groups to blame. You mention that the problem started when you upped your intake of vegetables: what vegetables do you eat, and in what quantity?
Realistically, if you are eating beans, pulses or root vegetables, I would suspect them first. Cabbage and brassica can cause problems for some people too.

Reactions: Smeggers

Smeggers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-opinionated people.
It is more in the Brassica section. I enjoy sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, male etc.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Never experienced Metformin. Seriously, I do not need anything to increase the amount of gas released, rather something to decrease it.

I have also found that different foods provide different smells and effects. I won't go into too much detail but I'm sure many of you will know of the "eggy" or " cabbagey" fragrance.

This should help you in your search for the major culprits.

https://www.drnelsontajong.com/blog/why-do-some-farts-smell-so-bad-while-others-have-no-smell-at-all