Excuses given why you shouldn't test

lizzief

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
'There's no point in testing because your meter might not be accurate. The ones we use at the surgery are re-calibrated every morning so we know they're accurate. So it's best to leave it to us'.

Me - So if I come to the surgery later in the day and you do a random test, it may not be as accurate as one done in the morning?
DN - Silence
Me - What about type1s, then? My BIL uses the same brand and model of meter as I do and bases his insulin on the results. Are you saying his doses are wrong or should he just not bother testing?
DN - even silenter silence

Reactions: 14 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
- you do not need to test as the metformin will keep you from going too high or too low.
- but you've just said that diabetes is different for everyone and that it will be a question of trial and error. If I do not test before and afterwards then how will I know what foods spike me?
Stoney silence
- we do not give meters to diabetics unless they inject.
- doesn't that contradict nice?
Stonier silence.
- right. I'm referring you to the hospital.
Lol!

Reactions: 6 people

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
My GP said 'you don't need it' and when I asked why she shrugged her shoulders and said 'national health' o_O:D

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's great that so many can keep a sense of humour about this. But in grim reality, how can any HCP, trained in a profession of healing and caring sit in front of a patient and lie bare-faced? Whatever happened to "first, do no harm"

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

applesmiles

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I had been teating for the first 20 years after diagnosis but last year was told that I should stop testing. The reasoning behind this was it "wouldn't really make all that much of a difference anyway", my risk of hypo was "negliable" and I'd feel unwell if I was too high. Turns out after being hospitalised for another medical issues I've been having nightime hypos and the consultant treating my other issues asked me "Would you not consider blood testing to help with your control?" I nearly exploded. Needless to say I am back testing.

Reactions: 4 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's great that so many can keep a sense of humour about this. But in grim reality, how can any HCP, trained in a profession of healing and caring sit in front of a patient and lie bare-faced? Whatever happened to "first, do no harm"

It looks like, as williamirvine said, cost.

The NHS has a budget, unless we, as the taxpayer, want to pay more.

Simple reality. it we all test now, it costs now. So the government has to tax now. And that's a vote loser.
If we don't test now, it costs later. So the next government has to tax, and that's a vote winner for now.

Reactions: 4 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
It looks like, as williamirvine said, cost.

The NHS has a budget, unless we, as the taxpayer, want to pay more.

Simple reality. it we all test now, it costs now. So the government has to tax now. And that's a vote loser.
If we don't test now, it costs later. So the next government has to tax, and that's a vote winner for now.
Spot on! Wish they'd just be more honest and tell people that they didn't have the budget as my doctor finally admitted!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Spot on! Wish they'd just be more honest and tell people that they didn't have the budget as my doctor finally admitted!

Mine was open and honest about it.
They do give meters out at my practice, (I do have one), but the nhs also find a lot didn't use them, a lot didn't heed them, a lot didn't understand them, a lot just passed them on or sold the strips, or tested themselves and their mates in the first two days, so they do need to be convinced it's going to be value for their money, and that's difficult to prove as it is biased against you.

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
The response from the doctor when I mentioned that the pharmacist said that I should ask about a medical exemption certificate "Ha ha why not - let's bankrupt the NHS then" He said it in a cheery way, but it made me feel terribly guilty. Didn't feel it was the right time to ask about meter and strips. When I saw Diabetic Nurse she prescribed one without me having to ask!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely. And the less we test the more we get ill, and the more ill we get the sooner we die, and the sooner we die the less we'll cost - or indeed vote. It's a political winner! :)

Kate

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

It's not always accurate to test ....we don't want you doing it.

Hba1c is best for t2 I make sure I have my bloods done often

Ria

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Surgeries should be provide meters and strips if that is what the patient want. I am lucky. I got a free meter and can get 100 strips a month although after the initial months I no longer need that many. if the problem is cost,how much does metformin cost? I have seen prices of 25p per tablet and gather that most people will need at least 2 a day. this would be for the rest of their life and the dosage most likely will increase overtime. strips cost 15-26p each. after a couple of months 1-2 a day on average would probably ok..So costs after say 6 months would be similar. After that the cost of strips would not really increase much but the cost of medication will increase as a higher dosage might be needed. Added benefit of testing would be a better control less complications and therefore less cost to the NHS. I wonder if anyone has done a cost analysis.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Surgeries should be provide meters and strips if that is what the patient want. I am lucky. I got a free meter and can get 100 strips a month although after the initial months I no longer need that many. if the problem is cost,how much does metformin cost? I have seen prices of 25p per tablet and gather that most people will need at least 2 a day. this would be for the rest of their life and the dosage most likely will increase overtime. strips cost 15-26p each. after a couple of months 1-2 a day on average would probably ok..So costs after say 6 months would be similar. After that the cost of strips would not really increase much but the cost of medication will increase as a higher dosage might be needed. Added benefit of testing would be a better control less complications and therefore less cost to the NHS. I wonder if anyone has done a cost analysis.

Cost to NHS per electronic Drug Tarrif:
Metformin 500mg 86p/28 =~3p each
Glucophage SR 500mg 532p/56 =~9.5p each
Metformin 850mg 119p/56 =~3.4p each
Glucophage SR 750mg 532/56 =~11.4p each

Ria

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Fergus. That is an enormous difference from what we have to pay if we buy the drugs ourselves. I wonder how much they can buy the strips for?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
'There's no point in testing because your meter might not be accurate. The ones we use at the surgery are re-calibrated every morning so we know they're accurate. So it's best to leave it to us'.

Me - So if I come to the surgery later in the day and you do a random test, it may not be as accurate as one done in the morning?
DN - Silence
Me - What about type1s, then? My BIL uses the same brand and model of meter as I do and bases his insulin on the results. Are you saying his doses are wrong or should he just not bother testing?
DN - even silenter silence
I would have asked them if I could come in pre and post meal every day to check

willow67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people,nasty habits,people who don't clean up after their dogs !
flies,wasps……the list is endless….oh and being tired…
i've just been told that i can only have two prescriptions a year for strips,it's a government thing.
£26.00 from the chemist :eek:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
i've just been told that i can only have two prescriptions a year for strips,it's a government thing.
£26.00 from the chemist :eek:

Try on-line, I'm sure you'll get them cheaper. The SD Codefree meter is supposed to have the cheapest test strips on the market.

willow67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people,nasty habits,people who don't clean up after their dogs !
flies,wasps……the list is endless….oh and being tired…
ooo ta very much, i currently use the contour
and i'm trying to keep record of my levels,but at that price,i'd be stuffed…so thanks very much :)

SandieB

I know this is slightly off topic....I was given a meter when I was diagnosed along with some test strips. Having been reading up on this site and testing myself to see what was good for my levels I fairlyquickly requested a prescription for more strips. I was told I could only have a prescription twice a year because I wasn't on insulin!
Needless to say I buy my own now, but some people aren't lucky enough to be able to afford them.