Excuses given why you shouldn't test

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
We were told at a conversation maps course that only type 1's need to monitor in case of low blood sugar - type 2's don't get hypos so don't need to check.

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
After I specifically asked my GP if I should be testing, he said "there's no point as you won't do anything with the information anyway"

When I asked my Diabetes Nurse the same question she said "the system won't let me add the test strips to your prescription, and they're too expensive to buy"

I had an appointment with my DN on Friday of last week and told her that I had decided to test, you would think from her reaction that I had said that I had decided to eat her first born child!! She was really angry and after telling me that it would drive me mad, she shrugged her shoulders and said "well it's up to you I suppose"

What is it that these Health Care Professionals, who DONT HAVE DIABETES, not want us to know?

Reactions: 6 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After I specifically asked my GP if I should be testing, he said "there's no point as you won't do anything with the information anyway"

When I asked my Diabetes Nurse the same question she said "the system won't let me add the test strips to your prescription, and they're too expensive to buy"

I had an appointment with my DN on Friday of last week and told her that I had decided to test, you would think from her reaction that I had said that I had decided to eat her first born child!! She was really angry and after telling me that it would drive me mad, she shrugged her shoulders and said "well it's up to you I suppose"

What is it that these Health Care Professionals, who DONT HAVE DIABETES, not want us to know?
I laughed so I woke hubby. I also have sore belly muscles, haven't laughed this much for weeks. I am still laughing, it hurts.

Reactions: 4 people

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates

You have understood the problem perfectly - the HCPs haven't got personal experience of T2D - they did their training when young! They don't want their patients to know more than they do.

Reactions: 3 people

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
What they do not appreciate is that good control - aided by testing - saves them money by helping keep us well.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not doing them because 'I know what a low and high feels like now anyway' is a very common excuse!!

There's some truth in that statement Jordan but surely we would want to prevent the hypo's and hyper's occurring in the first place, too many hypo's over a period of time and we would soon lose our hypo awareness.....which nobody would want!!!

jordanhood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's some truth in that statement Jordan but surely we would want to prevent the hypo's and hyper's occurring in the first place, too many hypo's over a period of time and we would soon lose our hypo awareness.....which nobody would want!!!

Very true pal. Granted this excuse came from the rebellious 13 year old Jordan, thankfully I've wised up since then and have now started testing 6+ times a day to keep on top of it all

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Very true pal. Granted this excuse came from the rebellious 13 year old Jordan, thankfully I've wised up since then and have now started testing 6+ times a day to keep on top of it all

I see I thought you got that statement from elsewhere.

I too test 6+ times a day, a gp tried to tell me it was too much and four times a day was sufficient until I got my Endo involved :)

MarkE

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Woo
We were told at a conversation maps course that only type 1's need to monitor in case of low blood sugar - type 2's don't get hypos so don't need to check.

Genius, that one! Wonder if they've even HEARD of having HIGH sugars...

My eyes hurt just thinking about it.

mpe

You will know what your bloods are by the way that you feel !!!
CAROL
Maybe they'd like to point out the sensory organ which measures plasma blood glucose concentration. When "medical professionals" come out with this sort of nonsense should you be trusting anything they say?

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Can still hear the increasingly strident DSN who had already objected to my low carb regime let alone testing

"You WILL stop that right NOW it will send you mad!"

Did it? Are you mad? :wacky:

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
As a type 1 a gp once said i didnt need to test b4 every meal as now ive been diabetic a few yrs i would know roughly what my bloods areo_O

ICR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told that type 2's don't have hypos? I have had many hypos over the last 4 yrs. But I'm much better at controling things now and yes I do test using a accu-chek Mobile.

HBA1C 6.6

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
These are the sort of trials that decide our fate with regard to test strips. This one was conducted over three years using 453 patients with non -insulin treated diabetes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1925177/
It looks like a fatal confusion in this study between advice to the 3 groups about diet vs monitoring. Also, it looks like a large proportion of people in the monitoring groups did not stick to the monitoring, but were included in the results anyway. I'd like to see the numbers for those who stuck with it.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You will know what your bloods are by the way that you feel !!!
CAROL

sick.jpg